The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Oh me, oh my.

Do you ever have a moment when you realize that your child is taking after you in all the wrong ways? If you haven't yet had the pleasure I am sure it is coming soon. At least I hope so because the other option here is that I am totally crazy. Which is mostly true looking at the facts alone. Today I asked Damian to copy four sentences from his latin book explain etc. Which as you know is et cetera which is a Latin expression meaning "and other things" or "and so on". He started crying and yelling and ranting and raving. Me I am standing at the counter reading a recipe on making ricotta cheese. I look up at him and see myself when he says, "I am going to be a dried up old prune by the time this is finished and it is going to be all your fault." I swallowed hard and smiled at the absurdity of it all. This is my child acting like me. Not that I have ever said those words in that way before but I have been known to yell crazy things when I get upset including, "Oh all hail the King of the House for he has spoken and so it will be down!" or "Don't tell me that my argument makes no sense, it makes plenty of sense, I know your thinking it so stop thinking it right now. I make total sense and just because you are currently thinking I am crazy does not in fact make me crazy. No you are not right stop thinking that too. I am going to pull out of my hair trying to tell you that I am right not you." Maybe this last argument was a lacking in content but I was totally right at the time I knew I what I was talking about. Plus I get mad and I don't want to be hurtful so I yell, "Your lucky I love you right now!" I don't know if it is just me but it feels good to just yell something anything. Here is the thing my husband lets me talk crazy until I calm down. He sits there and smiles at how absurd I am saying next to nothing. Believe me we had an argument over fig vinegar and that just got completely out of hand on the crazy meter. Even he could not believe the crazy things coming from his mouth. Sometimes the crazy spreads.

Anyway as I was saying I realized that my sweet boy was taking after his nutty mother instead of his usually calm quiet father. I am so sorry that he is taking after me. I feel like maybe I am the wrong parent to take after most of the time.

There is a bright side of this crazy train when we are happy we sing about daily life. If you watch How I Met Your Mother you have seen Marshal sing about paying bills, doing laundry, walking, cooking, drinking, etc. That is me and the boys. I sing about driving the car, traffic, cooking, chopping, walking, folding laundry doing dishes, reading, playing, lunch, so on and on. It is weird and wonderful to make up little songs that fill you up with happiness. I only hope that when my children grow up they find a partner to balance them out. I hope I haven't ruined them.

I have no idea how the universe aligned to allow for Rob and I to find each other in this crazy world but it did. I have to believe That God brought us together because he knew we needed each other to fully grow into the people we were meant to be. Not to sound totally dependant on my husband but even the flowers need to be watered in order to grow.

I hope that your children take after the right parent and that your day is filled with love and laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment