The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Macaroni Salad


We are having a BBQ later today with some friends. As you know I planned to make Macaroni Salad mostly because I can only stand potato salad like twice a year. I get a little burnt out on staple dishes. Potato salad was my job for about five years for every occasion with our very close friends because he was allergic to mayo so I made my own dressing experimenting until it was perfect. I made it a lot then we moved away from them and I stopped making it except when I am asked to bring it along or help out in the kitchen. Well if you know me I probably weaseled my way into the kitchen and took over under the guise of getting a glass of wine. That is right I will lie to you so that I can get my hands in to the meal preparation. Wait how did I get on potato salad? Moving to the original theme of this long winded story I have never made macaroni salad before and I have to say I really like this American classic.  I don't know if you already have a recipe but just in case here is my version.
First I want to show the printout I got for Macaroni salad. I added a few things...
 
I am in love with this yummy bowl of macaroni

Will you be my, won't you be my neighbor?


Ingredients

 2 cups dry macaroni, cooked, rinsed, and drained (I used the whole bag of macaroni)
1/3 cup diced celery (I used two stalks)
1/4 cup minced red onion (I used a small one from my garden and diced it)
1/2 cup diced vine ripened tomatoes (I used a lot of pink lady cherry tomatoes and cut them in half)
1 tablespoon minced parsley  (check)
1 can of olives cut into quarters (I added this to the recipe)
3 small bell peppers of different colors (I had a red, purple, and green in the garden. They were small so used you judgement and personal taste to how much you might like in it)
1 cucumber peeled and diced (addition I love)
a small bunch of Dill minced (Believe it or not dill adds a great fresh taste to the whole salad)

Dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use light miracle whip because I like it so if you have a favorite mayo use it)
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard (check)
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar (check)
1 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar (I used half a tablespoon of cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the new fig balsamic vinegar I got from a local place. You can mix up your favorite vinegars. Balsamic is a fail safe. It is never wrong)
3 tablespoons sour cream (I used greek yogurt because it is awesome!)
dash of cayenne pepper (It evens out the sweetness of the sauce)
a dash of olive oil (I used lemon olive oil. I think you could leave this out if you wanted)
Salt
pepper

Directions

In a large bowl mix the vegetables and macaroni noodles together. In a small whisk together the remaining ingredients to make the dressing. Then combine the two bowls. I did not use all of the dressing I made because I don't like my food drowning. I recommend that you add and mix a little at a time until you find the constancy that you like best. If you like it saucy add it all in.

I hope you enjoyed today's recipe.

Happy Memorial weekend! I hope it is filled with love and laughter. Be well my friends.

1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing! I may just have to try your altered version! I want a bite of that so bad! I make an Amish macaroni salad, turns out sweet. I needed a traditional recipe! I hope your BBQ was a success (which I am sure it was!) and you all had fun!

    ReplyDelete