The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Harvest from the heart

Today I went to wonder around the garden and found that I could do the most rewarding activity. My first real harvest because I needed a basket and I didn't eat everything I picked right away. I am super bad about picking and eating the ripe fruits without sharing. Especially tomitillos yum. In fact it is so bad that yesterday my husband was telling me that the tomitillos were not doing well and he might have to take them out soon. My response was, "Well think of how many tomitillos we have gotten." He smiled at me then asked, "How many would that be because I have only had one." No response from me because I know that he knows that I have eaten a few every morning for a month. Only sharing if I have company in the garden. Listen before you judge my greediness I did full tell everyone I was going to the garden. Just because they did not want to come see what was ready with me means they missed out. Besides that my sweet husband eats as he goes too. Don't be fooled by his sweet loving smile. We all have our weaknesses.  I want to show you what I harvested this morning

Yellow boy tomatoes. Hello boys!

We ate this one. It was sweet and just a little tart and totally perfect.

Onions! I pulled the rest of the yellow onions as they were completely ready. Sadly I found two that were over ripe and went in the compost bin instead of the table.

I know that these babies are small but it turns out that onions don't grow that big on their own.

At least here in good old hot Texas.

This is how you store onions. Braid the top and hang them up. They will last a long time.

This is my first harvest.

I even saved about a dozen tomitillos

I totally did a happy dance when I found these green beans.

Banana Peppers

Jalapenos, bell peppers, and tomatoes.

I picked some of the tomatoes before they were ripe because they will ripen on the counter. If we let them get ripe all the way the bugs and birds are more then happy to help harvest before we can. I am so happy that we are finally getting meal sized harvests. I have tons of swiss chard I need to find a recipe to use them in. Maybe I could do swiss chard rolls. I need to look up some recipes.

I hope you have a happy day filled with love and laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment