The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Recipe Tuesday.. Beets

My husband picked all of our beets this last weekend. There were about 40 of them ranging from super small to huge wonders. I love beets which is why we always plant so many. I wanted to pickle them but they never made it into jars. Instead I boiled them until they were tender ate 5 or 8 of the little beets. I could not stop eating the boiled beets they are wonderful. I also made a pickle beet salad. Which is the recipe for the day. I got this recipe from Simply recipes I linked the recipe to the original source. Side note I finally figured out how to use the link button!


My pot of beets before they were cooked.
Pickled Beets Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 bunch (4 or 5) beets
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp sugar (I used honey instead if you are worried about sugar.)
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • Salt and pepper

Method

1 Remove greens from beets. Cut beets to uniform sizes so they will cook evenly. Steam or boil around 30 minutes or until done. (Alternatively, you can roast them by wrapping them whole in foil and cooking them in a 350°F oven for about an hour.) A fork easily inserted into the beet will tell you if the beets are done or not.
2 Drain the beets, rinsing them in cold water. Use your fingers to slip the peels off of the beets. The peels should come off easily. Discard the peels. Slice the beets.
3 Make the vinaigrette by combining the cider vinegar, sugar, olive oil, and dry mustard. Whisk ingredients together with a fork. The dry mustard will help to emulsify the vinaigrette. Adjust to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Combine beets and vinaigrette in a bowl and allow to marinate for a half hour at room temperature.

I added feta cheese to this lovely salad and you can serve it over your favorite salad greens. It will keep in the refrigerator for a few days if you don't eat it all in one sitting like I tried to do.
If you have never had fresh beets this is a great way to try them out. I bet you will fall in love. I bet that you could roast the beets instead of boiling them. Oh my gosh I can only imagine the wonders of pickled roasted beet salad. I am going to try it next time we harvest beets. Let me know if you try the recipe and if you liked it. I do hope you enjoy it.

I hope your day is filled with inspiration, love, and laughter. Be well my friends

2 comments:

  1. I actually have some beets I need to use. This is perfect, and impeccable timing! These look so good. Thanks for encouraging me to try beets, and for sharing this recipe!

    And what wonderful looking beets you guys have grown! You are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession, beets are easy to grow. Just drop the seed in the dirt. We barely watered them at all because of the winter weather. I hope you like the recipe.

    ReplyDelete