The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Upcoming Homeschool Year

The next school year in our house starts on May 1. Second grade has felt like a transitional period where we experimented with different ways to homeschool. What I found is Damian does better with structure which I kind of suck at in general but I believe that I can do better. Damian is starting third grade, and James will be learning to read. James will not have a grade level attached to him until he can read. I believe reading is the foundation of knowledge. James is finally showing signs of reading readiness and I am ready to watch him fall in love with reading. This year I have decided on six weeks school one week off. Christmas will be two weeks off. This way I can assign reading to Damian during school weeks and he will have a whole week of just piano practice and fun reading to look forward too. I want to show what the basic matrials look like for the school year.

These are the baskets of school books. Third grade books on the left and the teaching reading books on the right. 

I am using this book to teach James to read. Fingers crossed.

Third grade is looking harder then second grade. All of this work plus the weekly classic that goes along with the lessons. We are going to be busy.

Here is how our daily schedule is going to work.

James will do one reading lesson for 15-30 minutes in the morning.
Damian's schedule looks like this

Language arts 60 minutes
Math 30-60 minutes
History 30 minutes
Science 30 minutes
Latin 30 minutes
Piano practice 30 minutes
Reading at least 60 minutes

On average a school day will last about 4-5 hours depending on how willing the kids are to do the work. He is growing up fast. We are excited to start the new school year and we are starting with hope in our hearts. Wish me luck I am going to need it.


I hope that your day is filled with Love and Laughter. Be well my friends.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! It helps me so much to see how you can break a day up with homeschooling. I think you have a good routine plan! I can not wait to see how your boys progress through the school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I took the kids to a playdate with other homeschoolers and when we got home we decided to just get started with out finishing all of the second grade math. Turns out the first few lessons are just review so he did not miss anything. I hope this new schedule works out for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have The Giving Tree in Latin. Awesome. =)

    ReplyDelete