The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Home school days; Beowulf and Disguises

Sometimes when we are doing school (yeah, it sounds like we are playing school instead of learning,but we all learn most days.) one of my favorite things is when Damian reads to us.



He is reading Beowulf.

He is a very expressive reader. He reads with passion just like his father.

He even makes sure that we see the pictures.

James does school work too. We have a starfall app on the Ipad.

Which is happy to use when he wants to do school work.

Sometimes we take a break from math to have lunch.

Honestly the last week we have been relaxed on all of the school work slowly building up to the new school year. That and it is the first week of my little summer vacation from college so I have been crocheting slippers, scarves,a purse, and planning out hats and blankets. So you see this week I have been the problem. That is really hard to admit to being the problem. Monday marks the start of our six weeks on one week off schedule. The only problem I see in my future is James. Unless he wants to learn during his time he will fight me tooth and nail. Really our conversation goes like this:

Me, "James repeat after me, A is the first vowel we say"
James, "No"
Me, "A is the first vowel we say"
James, ". . . "
Me, "James repeat after me, a is the short A Sound"
James is looking at the yellow walls behind the table, "No. I am done."
Me, "James, What is the short a sound"
James, "P!"
Me, "a is the short a sound."
James, "I done?"
Me, "Point to the A" there is a card in front of him
James points to the card, "Now?"
Me, "Um, I guess."

James thinks I will not recognize him and make him do school work in this disguise.


James is a very independent little boy who likes to do things on his time and wants to learn things on his own. This kid potty trained himself at two years old while we were living in a hotel room (when we moved here). This kid decided to pull himself up to a standing position at six months old and was running by eight months. This kid decided to ride a two wheel bike with training wheels and just did. So every night I pray that he will learn to read from osmosis, that my constant jabber sinks in and he surprises me by reading a book by himself. I can hope. Keep in mind this kid did talk until he was two an a half. His speech therapist said his only problem was compliance. A nice way to say that he is super stubborn. Is my hair turning grey? Yes and falling out.

 I love my kids and most days I am happy that I have this job and I get to watch them grow and learn. I feel so blessed to have this life, to live this life, and to be me. You should be blessed to have your life. After all it is the only one we have. If you don't like how something is going do not be afraid to change. You are worthy of happiness.

I hope that today you are blessed with love and laughter. Be well my friends. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so blessed to have you in my life!! You have great patience and so much love! I think James will surprise you and just take off reading and talking like crazy. Oh, and I love the disguise!

    Damian is very impressive with his reading abilities. I hope one day I can hear his passion. He looks so intense when reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, that was really nice. Thank you. I am very blessed to have you in my life as well. One day you will hear Damian read.

    ReplyDelete