The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Post roast dinner

If you know my youngest son then you know three very important things.

1. He only likes peanut butter.
2. and Oatmeal
3. He hates, hates soup.

I wanted to make something nice that all of my boys would enjoy and feel a sudden urge to worship me a little, write songs that would be remembered forever. All of the songs would start with, "Oh mom your so great, made us a wonderful meal." What was for dinner tonight?

Wine braised Pot Roast.
First you cook the onions and carrots in a little olive oil.

Salt and pepper your grass fed beef. Then brown all sides of the meat. Put the vegetables and the beef back in the pan and then.
Add the Merlot. You want to add it until the wine is half way covering the meat. It does cook down so you will have to add more wine occasionally. I used the whole bottle before it was finished.

Yum! This drunked pile of meat and carrots and onions were so good. How good you ask. We ate in silence every single bite. Oh honey... I missed meat.

I sauteed onions, mushrooms, and a green pepper to make this wonderful meat topper. Really we ate it as a side because the wine braised meat was so flavorful.

Lightly sauteed squash. I also made roasted fingerling potatoes but I forgot to take a picture.

Finally Dessert. Peanut butter bars. I think if I had planned it better it could have been a peanut butter cup. James' favorite things. Turns out he did not like the meat because, "It gets stuck in my teef". He skipped dessert over eating a few bites of the pot roast.


 I am going to post the recipe for the peanut butter bar tomorrow and well more pictures. I kind of want another piece but my stomach it satisfied and very happy. As for the songs being written for me well it is the sound of silence. My husband is happily washing dishes, the boys are outside cleaning up dog poo. I guess they all wanted to show me how much they enjoyed dinner. Between you and me I like it when they want to do chores. I love them so much!

I hope that your dinner turned out perfect and that your day is filled with love and laughter. Be well my friends.



2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing!!! If you would like, when you cook for me, I will sing for you! Well, I may need some wine in me first.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to worry Friend you shall have wine and I always sing along!

    ReplyDelete