The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Time to Jam

I have always wanted to learn how to make my own jellies, and jams. I love it when someone hands me a homemade jar of jelly, to me it is like a rare jewel being gifted to me. In fact if you must know when we get to travel home to visit my grandparents I always raid the pantry and leave with at least one big box of random jellies, jams, preserves, and whatnot. It is a taste of home that travels 3000 miles to my table and lasts kind of a long time. I personally have been nervous about making jelly. This little quark has more to do with my canner that I have only just started using within the last year. When my husband and mother in law first gave this giant scary looking metal pot to me it felt like I could cook my small child in there. We eyed each other (the canner and me) and I happily pretended that it was the best gift I have ever gotten. I put it away just out of sight. Turns out the canner was saying, "Yes, we can be friends. I already like your wonky style." True story. As you know I have fallen in love with canning chicken broth, and turkey broth (fowl broth? um. that sounds a little like foul. so we will stick with chicken or turkey broth. sorry for the side track). Now I even use alone and can tell by sound when I need to lower the temperature. I never go far from that massive beast because I am still nervous. This last week I finally made my very own Raspberry Mango Jam and also I canned some dried beans but that is another story. Turns out it is not recommended to pressure can fruit all it needs is a really hot bath. Of course you know I have pictures.

Due to my utter lack of knowledge I bought a book and crossed refernced with my manual. 

In this pan 3 pounds of not chopped enough mango (I thought it would breakdown more), 12 ounces of frozen raspberries, and half a lemon worth of juice.

Four cups of sugar.

A helper trying to get the sugar.

Into the fruit instead.

I am so lucky to have two wonderful helpers. Even if they really only wanted to eat the Jam.

Boil the jelly jars.

And the fruit mixture. Then you carefully put jam into the jars. Try not to splash any of the boiling liquid on to your hands, chest or feet. It really hurts but is one way of knowing your almost done.

This recipe made 8 half pint jars of sparkling goodness.

Next time I will actually cut the mangoes a bit more.

This Jam was a great hit with the family and it is really easy to make.


I want to encourage you to make some homemade jelly for your family. There are tons of recipes out there for freezer jam/jelly. Also if you want to make jam with a hot water bath all you really need are some jars, a big pan with a fitted lid, a wide mouth funnel (if you can carefully pour jam into the jars with out spilling go for it. I need the funnel), and at least some tongs to help lift the hot jars out of the water. Good luck on your first batch of jam. I know you will love it.

I hope that your day is filled with jelly love and Sweet laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment