The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

It's pizza

I am a lazy lunch maker. It is the hardest meal for me to find creative ideas to put in front of my kids. Of course this is also the time I let the boys eat peanut butter sandwiches because they love them in all their forms. Today I decided to think outside of the box and made mini pizza's out of homemade Carta Di Musica bread. I am going to let you in on a little secret pizza crust is bread. Most breads are made with three basic ingredients water, flour, yeast. This recipe calls for a teaspoon of sugar and salt but it has a fancy name so I am sure it will taste better. No, you're probably right it will taste like pizza crust. One of the reasons I like to make pizza for my kids is I can put vegetables on the top and it is still pizza to the kids.

Today's pizza is a Zucchini with three cheeses.

First up the dough I used

1 1/4 cup water
4 cups flour (I used my trusty wheat but use what you have)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry yeast

Mix ingredients in a bowl in the order they are listed. You can add a little more water if the dough is too dry. Then knead on a lightly floured surface until it is a firm ball of dough. Let it rise for 30-60 minutes. Then you can roll out the dough for any size pizza.

So I have a secret weapon. This tortilla press makes perfect individual pizza rounds. I use the wax paper dusted with Masa (cornmeal) to keep the dough from sticking.

These babies have zucchini slices, mozzarella, french goat cheese, and Parmesan. I baked them at 450 for about 20-30 minutes.

Look at all that gooey melted cheese. Yum!

So when you make pizza use the ingredients that you have around the kitchen to make a healthy meal for your family. Trust me anything can go on a pizza. Cici's Pizza makes macaroni and cheese pizza. Throw some old favorites on it also if you do not have pizza sauce you don't need it. Be adventurous and create a yummy pizza for the whole family to enjoy. If you do have pizza sauce or even some leftover spaghetti sauce put a little the pizza, top with fresh mozzarella cheese (you can slice it or shred it. I slice it because it is easier),and fresh basil. This makes a margarita pizza another fancy name for pure goodness.

I hope that you have a wonderful day filled with Love and Laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment