The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

Today I am making my own laundry soap. I have been wanting to do this ever since I randomly came across a blogger who makes her own, so a month or so give or take a day. I finally almost ran out of tide and my chance came. Lucky for me my husband will let me try anything at least one time.

This is the story of how to make your own laundry soap powder. .

You will need 20 Mule Team Borax, Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (These can be found in the laundry detergent aisle. I found mine on the bottom shelf) and A Bar of Dr. Bonner Pure Castile soap (for the record I found mine at target with the natural beauty products and it comes in more than one smell).

First you grate the whole bar of soap on the smallest side of your cheese grater.

Next add 1 cup Washing Soda and 1 Cup Borax

Then you put a lid on your container and shake it all up. That's it. You are done. I used 2 tablespoons in my first load of laundry. I read only one but it looked like such a small amount I panicked and added one more just in case. Our first load was Rob's farming clothes today.

So here is the price breakdown of making your own Laundry detergent

Arm & Hammer Super Washing soda 3.24 per laundry mix = .47/cup
20 Mule Team Borax 3.38 per laundry mix = .36/cup
Dr. Bonner's Peppermint soap bar 4.74

Total cost for a batch is 5.57

Cost per load (2 Tbsp) roughly .30

This idea and recipe came from these sources

http://www.motherrisingbirth.com/2012/01/diy-dr-bronners-powder-laundry-detergent.html

http://www.sweetannas.com/2012/01/homemade-powdered-laundry-detergent.html
(Sweet anna's blog has a lot of great advice and tips for homemade)

http://www.naturalhomeandgarden.com/homemade-cleaners/homemade-laundry-detergent.aspx

There are lots of ideas out there for liquid soap and for using other kinds of bar soaps if you have a favorite. I happen to have recently fell in love with Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap so I looked that kind up in my google search "how to make laundry soap powder with dr bronner's".


Rob's farming clothes came out of the dryer clean. I was hoping that the smell of peppermint would fill the house but his clothes just smelled clean. Just to double check I am washed our bedding sheets, blanket, and pillow cases. I am still hoping that they will come out smelling like peppermint. Yes, I am writing this update on whether or not the laundry detergent works in real time so that you know the facts. I don't want to tell you how wonderful something is until I have tried it out. The bedding is clean so it works all the time.

For a great fabric softener use 1/2 a cup of white vinegar in a downy ball or just in the washing machine. This also works for getting rid of all smells even your laundry soap smells. My mother in law uses vinegar when her cats spray and that smells comes out of fabric. So I know that works!
I hope that you are inspired to make your own laundry soap in a scent that you love and that your day is filled with Love and Laughter. Be well my Friends.

2 comments:

  1. I am sooo trying this (without telling my hubby). Let's see if he can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me how you like it when you give it a try.

    ReplyDelete