The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Recipe Tuesday

Yesterday when I uploaded a bunch of pictures from my camera I found my food pictures and decided to post an easy recipe that is both photogenic and tastes just as good as it looks. Trust me my three year old asked for more. Is there any other critic as hard to please as a toddler? I don't think he is a toddler anymore. My baby is growing to fast! Today's recipe comes from Jamie Oliver's food revolution cookbook. Warning I went a little crazy with the pictures! Maybe saying a little crazy is an understatement but once I added the bacon to the peas I was inspired. I hope it inspires you too. This meal is really, really yummy.

Mini Shell Pasta With A Creamy Smoked Bacon and Pea Sauce

 I love Jamie Oliver. I love easy his recipes are to read and follow. I love that he is a family man, not that it makes the food better. He seems like he really cares for people in the community. So I feel good about supporting him by paying full price for the book, okay I got 10% off.
 So while I was making this I thought nothing was as pretty as the green peas and bacon.
 So I got the camera and started taking pictures. Hello yummy peas.
 I couldn't stop. I wanted to show you how pretty this dish is. I wanted you to want to make it too.
 I thought these pale little creatures needed to be shown before it became a wonderful, unforgetable dish.
 I made my poor husband grate the cheese, he grated more just in case I wanted to make it super cheesey. He loves cheese.
 I love fresh mint from my garden. It smells fresh and wonderful.
 Mix in your cream and mint.
 Then add in the shells. Do you see their transformation as they get dressed up for a night out?
  Cheese always makes the everything better.
 Then finally you dish it up on a plate and just look at it. It smells like heaven.
 So I just wanted to take a bigger picture with my red table cloth and here you see my not trained eye and know that my hobby is a hobby not a career. Really a little extra cheese on top never hurt anyone. It is a healthy dish for all.


Mini Shell Pasta With A Creamy Smoked Bacon and Pea sauce

Ingredients:
10 slices of bacon
a small bunch of fresh mint
salt and pepper
1 pound dried mini shell pasta
a pat of butter
2 cups frozen peas
2 tablespoons of creme fraiche or heavy cream (in a pinch use milk)
1 lemon
6 ounces Parmesan cheese

To prepare your pasta:
Finely slice the bacon. (I suck at cutting raw meet. So I just just do the best I can and I like the thicker chunks of bacon) Pick the mint leaves and discard the stalks. (If you don't happen to have a ton of mint growing outside, you should. Once the mint takes root it grows like crazy all you do is water it.) Finely grate the Parmesan cheese. (Or buy the cheese shredded from the deli. Use the good cheese it makes the difference.)

To Cook Your pasta:
Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Add the mini shells and cook according to the package instructions. Get a large frying pan over a medium heat and add a good lug of olive oil and the butter. Add the bacon to the pan, sprinkle a little pepper over and fry until golden and crisp. Meanwhile, finely chop your mint leaves. As soon as the bacon is golden, add the frozen peas and give the pan a good shake. (Or stir it to mix it all up) After a minute or so, add the creme Fraiche (or heavy cream, or the milk if that is all you have)and chopped mint to the bacon and peas. Drain the pasta in a colander over a large bowl (you are just saving some of the cooking water so just take a cup of it out and drain the rest). Add the pasta to the frying pan. Halve the lemon and squeeze the juice over the pasta. When it's all bubbling away nicely, remove it from the heat. It's really important that the sauce is creamy, silky, and delicious but if it's too thick for you, add a splash of the cooking water to thin it a bit. Add the grated Parmesan and give the pan a shake to mix it in. (Or just stir it like me. I use a heavy cast iron pan and when that thing is full of food there is no shaking it up. I tried but I could barely lift it with two hands much less shake it. Really the pan weighs almost five pounds on it's own. That might make me a weakling but I do not mind. Lesson here use a light pan. But I love my cast iron pan and won't so I just gently stir.)

To Serve Your Pasta:
Divide your pasta between plates or bowls, or put it on the table in a large serving dish and let everyone help themselves. Lovely with a simply dressed green salad.


Here is the link to his website, and to this recipe. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/mini-shell-pasta-with-a-creamy-smoked-ba this is his UK Website. Here is the link to his USA Website which doesn't have the recipe converted for us. He has a ton of amazing recipes available http://www.jamieoliver.com/us/recipes/pasta-recipes. Dear Jamie Oliver Thank you for cooking and sharing your talent with the rest of us. Love me.

Now I must study for my science mid-term or start the stew for dinner. I hope that you house is filled with a lovely scent of comfort food that draws your family in to the table, and as always may you be blessed with love and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment