The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Lost in a book

I have been missing in action this last week or so because I got lost in a book or two on the way here. Well that and my Mother in Law was in town. My kids love having her here so it was a good visit over all. I just need to relax and trust in God. It would make things easier and a lot less stressful. This post is one about books not Company.


The first book is one that I have seen mentioned in book groups online, I have heard whispers about it for a long while. My husband had even brought it up when he had a conversation about it with a co-worker. I blew it off, ignoring it, dismissing the message I was hear all together. Then one day I was wondering down the fiction section of the library, ( I like to see what book will call my name) I stopped in front of a bookshelf with only two identical books in the middle of the shelf. It called my name, it screamed at me, nearly jumping with anticipation. I reached out and picked up one of the dark books up. The Shack by WM. Paul Young.


It is an amazing book about forgiveness and the depth of God's Love. In the forward the author explains how he came to writing the book. It is the experience his friend went through. He even says that at times it seems far fetched and hard to believe but he wants it to be true. Right now having read it and soaked it in I hope it is true too. Some more the hope is while I was reading it I felt a shift in myself. I new understanding that turned the light on and opened my heart.


The first and sudden shift came when I was reading Chapter 11 Here Come Da Judge when Mack is asked to judge God. I am guilty of judging people based on their decisions or actions that I do not agree with. I try not to be judgemental but it creeps up as good intentions. We know what they say about good intentions, the road to hell is paved with them. (this is not in the book at all! Just a common saying I am using to describe myself.) Mack is told to chose two of his children to go to heaven and three to spend an eternity in hell. He refuses to chose and instead offers his own life to go for his children. Then God tells him he has made the right choice. "You have judged them worthy of love, even if it cost you everything. That is how Jesus loves." ( found on page 163).  Even now tears are in my eyes, this judgement chapter was one of the most moving parts for me because it opened me up for a later bigger lesson.


Forgiveness, I don't know about everyone else but I needed a lesson in the purpose of forgiving others. I am going to add a quote from the book but it doesn't mean there are not better quotes, or that this is the best one. All this quote is, is one example that moved me. This book is filled with good solid examples of God's love, of forgiveness and many other things. "Forgiveness is first for you, the forgiver, . . . to release you from the something that will eat you alive; that will destroy your joy and your ability to love fully and openly." One more quote on the subject, "I want to help you take on that nature that finds more power in love and forgiveness than hate."


I feel like I am giving you a fragmented version of this beautiful book. All I can really tell you is I am changed forever because I read this book. It helped me to understand pieces that I have been missing in my life. I hope that you read this book. I would love to hear what you thought of The Shack.




Now for the second book. My sister in law called and while I was on the phone she told me to read Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I at first said I would try but I was going to busy starting next week. Then for some reason when I got off the phone I felt compelled to look for it and found out my library had it available. I went and got the book and read it in two days.


Redeeming love is a retelling of the book of Hosea. I must not have been told the story of Hosea when I was young because I had never heard of it. The book is about Love, and forgiveness. It is told in a simple way that focuses on the message. I recommend this book.


This is a story about a young woman who was sold into prostitution as a child and how she finds God. Angel finds herself working in California's Gold country in 1850 for a madam. A farmer is told by God to marry the soiled dove but Angel has learned not to trust men. He marries her and she slowly learns to love Micheal through much trail and error. Micheal learns forgiveness and patience. Angel turns away from Micheal's love and goes back to the only life she has known. Her journey to God and Love is a hard road to travel. I was captivated from the first chapter on. I know I am not doing a very good job explaining this book. I is a simple, complicated love story. It really is worth reading.


I hope your day is filled with Love, Laughter, and a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment