The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Unanswered prayers

Remember the song Unanswered Prayers by Garth Brooks? Pandora played it for me today, I haven't heard in a long while but every time I do I look at my life and think about when I was younger all the things I prayed for, bargained for, begged for because I knew if I had that one thing, one person my life would be complete. Boy was I wrong all of those unanswered prayers that I cried over, worried over turned out to be a blessing that lead me here to this moment. My kids are playing loudly running around the house ignoring the fact that I asked them to clean up all their toys, and I am sipping coffee with peppermint mocha creamer pretending that I don't see them not listening. Believe it or not I wouldn't tried this messy life for any other that I could have had.


I think that these roads that we travel are not straight or easy. We put one foot in front of the other and move forward, sometimes we run arms wide open, other times it is all we can do to pick up the left foot and move it forward. But when you take a minute to look back across the distance that we have traveled in our lives the good, the bad, the really ugly you will find that the whole picture is really simple and beautiful. To get here I had to start at the beginning, and that one fact is true for all of us. To get to where you are right now you had to start at the beginning. The obstacles we find in our paths, all the times we fall and it hurts to breath makes us stronger. It helps us to grow into the people we are meant to be. It helps us see the beauty in the scenery, and maybe consider for a second that even the weeds have a place to. I know my kids find the prettiest weeds and carefully put them in water so that I can have their love to look at and those weeds have a whole area of the yard my husband lets them grow. Tall spindly steams with tiny delicate flowers at the top. It is easy to judge them for not being roses but really in the simplicity they are a perfect reflection of love. They grow in hard dry dirt, in small cracks in cement, in unexpected places and they survive waiting for a little child to find them and see the beauty.




I hope that your day is filled with love and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment