The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lessons Learned September 25, 2011

Lessons I learned a weekly debrief
September 25, 2011


Reading the Odyssey and then writing 3000 words about it in a week is hardcore! I love the Odyssey, I love the misadventures of Odysseus I have read it twice before this week started. But both times before it took me a month to finish it. Reading it in a week, in an online format makes my eyes hurt. At the end of the day I just want to close my eyes and do nothing else.

Forestry lessons this week included measuring a tree three different ways. One involves measuring shadows three different times. Well it turns out if you wait until 7pm the sun is setting and there are no shadows to measure, if you try to do it in the morning well said tree's shadow is on the neighbors house making it ridiculous to bother with. So now I am waiting until later in the day when the shadow is on the ground. It is due today.

I printed out a wonderful Pirate preschool unit study for James. It is easy and quick lessons for him on numbers, numbers, sizes, matching, but there is only one letter lesson. I think letters are the foundation to reading and that is what I want to work on with James but because I declared pirate week I have to stay on theme...

The same Pirate Preschool Unit Study caused me to spend six hours cutting little details out with little tiny scissors. My hand is cramping still, my wrist is screaming, and my poor fingers are deformed. What I do for love and homeschooling.

I learned how to use my canner this week! It was stressful because I was filled with anxiety. It turned out to be easy. I breathed a sigh of relief and excitement in one exhale. Really now I want to can everything. Now if only the garden would start producing some lovely vegetables for me to can, or freeze.

Damian loves Pirate week! He has read Gulliver's Island, Kidnapped, Captain Courage, and. He carefully read each chapter of Pirates at Noon, then answered the questions and finally glued them in to the lap book he is making. I love it when he is happily learning!

Rob has done an amazing job on the garden beds and it looks like we might get squash. That is another post about the garden. The boys planted their own garden bed yesterday so I will start doing weekly garden updates so you can join us on the journey from seed to plate. Now we wait and see and hope for rain. Lots of rain!

I hope that you have a lovely week filled with love and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment