The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lessons Learned September 18

Lessons I  learned this week.
September 18, 2011

I learned all about the spotted owl, banana slugs, red tree voles, and Douglas fir trees. They are all part of an old growth forest in the Pacific Northwest and all part of the same food web. My forestry class is interesting but it is very challenging.

I also learned about photosynthesis in plants and trees. My favorite science discovery was agroforests. It is basically in a simple explanation an edible food forest. Adding trees to farm lands helps prevent soil erosion, their roots helps to keep moisture in the soil during times of drought, shade in the summer, and they are just awesome.

My boys are going to be mummies for Halloween so I learned how to make their costumes.

The Iliad never gets easier to read, at least for me. It is a gruesome tale of war and I am just not the kind of girl who enjoys reading about spears piercing body parts, cutting off heads, stealing amour from the dead guy, and the like. I guess it is good I never joined the military even if we don't fight with swords anymore.

Season seven of Grey's Anatomy is instant play on Netflix! Too bad I can't just watch a marathon of the show. Seriously I watched the musical number they did and fell in love with Dr. Hunt. He was singing like he was still talking about trauma, I was blown away. I loved the whole episode even if Patrick Dempsy didn't sing.

I spent the week arguing with the boys to do school work, well until Thursday and then I just threw in the towel. They are taking next week off except for reading and piano playing. We need a break and I can give that to the kids from time to time, that is why we school all year around.

Damian is a brave kid. He pulled his tooth out by himself while looking in the mirror. Now he is missing his two front teeth.

I love potato and leek pizza.

No, I really love The Pioneer Woman Cooks. I love her so much that I want the cookbook she is working on now to just be mailed to me for Christmas. I guess I might get it next year when it comes out. How long does it take to get a cookbook out to the public?

Next week when the boys are back to school work we are doing a pirate themed lab book. I am so excited, I only hope they love it too. I will take pictures of that.

Two weeks into school I am not as stressed as I was last year, but it is still stressful looking at doing at lest 30 hours worth school work. For once I am only going to worry about doing the best I can and not about perfection.

I hope you have a wonderful relaxing week filled with love and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment