The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Monday, September 26, 2011

In garden news...

My kids planted their first little garden bed so I thought it was the perfect time for an update on the garden. Rob has spent the last few months turning beds of clay into growing machines or at least add so much organic martial that we have a slight chance to eat something grows from our ground.

This is the boys' garden bed also what Damian wanted to to do for his birthday. Finally a month a later he planted his little seedlings and some root crop seeds for luck. They are so proud of all the hard work that went into this bed. I really hope it grows and produces tomatoes, green beans, beets, carrots, acorn squash, watermelon and pumpkin. We let them load it up in a desperate attempt to assure at least one thing grows. This is the bed to watch over the coming weeks.


This is our squash bed. It has green and yellow zucchini, bottle neck squash, straight neck squash, and summer squash. Then we also have a verity of beans and we just added some greens along the sides. Wishful thinking.

This is our bed of melons, orange watermelons, Christmas melons, cantaloupe, and Gaia melons. Wishful thinking all the way. See that pile of dirt over there? We buy dirt by the truck load in order to make our clay dirt into a lovely soil. For these three beds we have bought four truck loads of dirt, thirty bags of compost manure, and countless other additives. Do you see the grey paths? That is the dirt we started with. Because of the drought it is hard packed and causes Rob nightmares when he thinking about cutting into it. Maybe he deserves a back rub. . . Then again my very big bath tub is filled with his pots of seeds that he has started and hasn't made their beds yet.
Look! Do you see what I have been dreaming about? That is right I dream of baby squash. They are beautiful aren't they. I have big ideas for them and they all involve butter.


This plant has a tiny baby. Right now it looks like we might get lucky.
.
I just love the sight of all these green squash leaves. They are all grown from seed. My heart is all a flutter with anticipation

This is my little herb garden. These beds boast rosemary, sage, lemon basil, lemon mint, oregano, sage, lemon balm, basil, peppermint, and one eucalyptus tree. We didn't know it was a tree when it was planted here (it is the tall skinny plant on the left near the porch) we will find a new home for it when it gets a little bigger or in the next couple of months.
Finally my asparagus. We can't eat for another year or so but it is very happy and adds a nice green reminder of when things go right. I love these ferns but I will be the first one to happily eat them when their time comes. Rob made a little fence for them so that they would not fall over.


There is a garden update. I know I did not include any trees in this post but I will another day after the grass is cut and the trees look taller then the weeds. So for now I am living with a prayer for rain. Dear God please send rain. Amen

I hope you are blessed with love and laughter and a green garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment