The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Recipe Tuesday

Since I am now doing a menu plan on Mondays and I post a picture of my favorite meal of the week. I have decided to do a Recipe Tuesday featuring that recipe so that you can try it at home too. I have to admit, if you didn't know by reading my blog already I am a cookbook junkie. So I will share where I found the recipe and if I changed it at all, believe me I change every recipe sometimes a little, sometimes so much it is unrecognizable. This week I have two recipes to share with you. One from the menu and one lovely surprise. The winning meal this week is. . .

Open-Face Ratatouille Sandwich
ingredients

  • 1 small eggplant, cut in 1-inch pieces (I used two regular eggplants from the farmers market)
  • 1 small zucchini or yellow summer squash, cut into 3/4-inch slices (I used two of each)
  • 1  medium red sweet pepper, cut in strips (I didn't have a pepper oops)
  • 1/2 of a small red onion, cut in 1/2-inch wedges (I used the whole thing)
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil (I just drizzled and guessed)
  • 1/2 tsp. herbes de Provence or dried thyme, crushed (I don't have thyme growing, but I do have oregano and rosemary for the herbs de provence)
  • 2 medium plum tomatoes, each cut lengthwise in 6 wedges (I diced up three roma tomatos)
  • 8 small or 4 large 1/2-inch slices whole wheat or white French bread, toasted ( I baked my own bread and sliced up 8 nice sized slices and then toasted)
  • 1 clove garlic, halved
  • 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (again I drizzled and guessed, I added more because I love balsamic)
  • Fresh thyme sprigs (optional) (none)

directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large shallow roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add eggplant, zucchini, sweet pepper, and onion to prepared pan. Drizzle olive oil; sprinkle herbes de Provence, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Toss to coat. Roast vegetables 30 minutes, tossing once. Add tomatoes to roasting pan. Roast 15 to 20 minutes more or until vegetables are tender and some surface areas are lightly browned.
2. Meanwhile, rub toasted bread with cut sides of the garlic clove. Place two small slices or one large slice of the bread on each of four serving plates. Sprinkle balsamic vinegar over vegetables; toss gently to coat. Spoon warm vegetables on bread. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme sprigs. Makes 4 servings.
Really I followed the directions using the ingrediants that I had. It was very enjoyable. I used extra ingrediants because I have to feed a hungry family of four, three of which are boys! This recipe came from Better Homes and Gardens Annual Recipes 2008 page 162.


The lovely surprise is . . .

Apple Cheddar Bread (muffins in my case)

Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts ( I used pecans and almonds)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup margarine, melted
  • 1 apple - peeled, cored and finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese ( I guessed on the cheese so I am sure there was more then 1/2 a cup)
  • 1/4 cup milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon walnuts, apples, and cheese. Add the eggs, melted butter or margarine, and milk; stir until well blended. Pour into prepared loaf pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until done. If loaf starts to brown too much, cover with foil.               

I made muffins because I think they last longer than a loaf of bread. Also you can tell how much you have eaten then a large slice of bread. I know I always cut gaint pieces of bread and then everyone wants more and there is none. 45 minutes for the muffins. I didn't have a problem with them over browning. This recipe came from Allrecipes.com here is the link http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-Cheddar-Bread/Detail.aspx?src=ShareOnFacebook&recipeID=7241



 I hope you enjoy these recipes. If you make them I would love to hear how it turned out and if you liked them as much as I did.

I hope your day is filled with Love and Laughter

No comments:

Post a Comment