The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Take the long way round


Today I was thinking (surprising I know) about all of the dreams, hopes, goals, and random things that generally make me really very happy.  I love being a mother, a wife, and I love being home with my children. I also love a really good scenic route, where the roads twist and wind and suddenly you are faced with impossible beauty. I love taking life slowly, getting lost, and falling down. I love mistakes and socks. I love to learn and I adore a fantastic challenge. Really I often find myself struggling to complete something (a paper for school, a dress, a painting, a complicated recipe, a story, crochets, and so on), I ask myself out loud, "Why have I done this again!" But I am smiling because I know I can do it. I try to teach my children that anything worth having takes hard work and lots of mistakes.

I love mistakes and mishaps. That moment when you know how to fix the problem and do it better next time is the best feeling in the world. Awesome. I am not perfect and between you and me I do not want to be either. Perfection is boring. I am not saying not to be great at something. That is not the case. What I mean is never stop trying to be better because once you (my own belief only) think you cannot get any better you stagnate. I never want to stop growing as a person. So hey I invite you to critic me (nicely). I know that my grammar needs improvement. I know that I can be quirky and messy and slightly to the left. All of those things are pieces of me.

Sometimes I worry a lot more than necessary. I bite my lower lib and consider the path I have taken. From my current view point it looks long and there is a few twists and turns ahead that make my heart beat faster. What is around the bend? Who am I going to be? I am I too old to  . . .? Sometimes it feels more like panic and it can be extremely destructive. Where is my crystal ball? What are the mysteries waiting for me?

Most of these questions have no right or wrong answer. Right now I am scheduled to graduate college with a Bachelors Degree in English in 2018. It feels like forever and ever. Really I get to teach my children what to expect out of college. That it is never too late to chase a dream or to change a dream or take a chance and to believe in themselves. They see me struggle, but they see me succeed too. I hope that when they are adults facing the world they take the road less traveled. They always know that they are worth it, and deserve to be happy.

As you know all know I am a writer. That is what makes me the happiest. My heart beats lyrics, and I bleed ink. Okay not really but when I write I feel accomplished. I am proud and at peace. I have known that I have wanted to be a writer since I was eight. But through a series of very unfortunate events I had no confidence in my ability. I did not know my own worth. That is really why I chose English as a degree to help me improve, to help me build my confidence. So when the time comes I will take a leap of faith and finally learn to fly. Yes, I know that I can be a writer without education. For me it is a milestone that I want to place on my road, A sign that says, "Oh, Yes. I can."

Do you know what makes you happy? That little whisper at the center of your heart. Yes, that one. Be happy my friend. Make mistakes, take a chance and follow your dreams. Yes, you can. You can do anything you want to do. You are amazing and worth it.
I think we need a song
I love this song. It makes me happy.
Oh be doo, Okay, it is still my favorite movie.
This is my all time favorite track, song, music. It speaks to me.
 
 
I hope that your day is filled with inspiration, love, and laughter. Be well my friend.
 

2 comments:

  1. Your views and passion are truly inspirational, my friend. Your boys will be amazing and have amazing lives, because you are an amazing mom!

    Fantastic music, all of it. That last one. Yes! I sat back and just let it flow. Twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the journey with me.

      Delete