The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Friday, February 1, 2013

The Second Granny Square

How did your squares turn out last month? I hope that you are still following along. Today our square starts with a circle. Don't panic it is an easy pattern just something different. I am still using an I hook which is 5.5 mm. We want to continue using the same size hooks. Today we only have one video. Of course you can go back Here to see the videos on weaving in the ends, and changing color. The video below does walk us through a color change. You can pause at any point in the video to catch up, or to take a short break and then continue later. This video is almost 27 minutes long.  Just a quick reminder we are making 8x8 squares so you will need to add three more rows to the square featured in the video and we are only making six of these this month. Trust me I finished all of my squares for the month only to realize that I was short half an inch or the last row. It is slightly annoying to have to fix a silly mistake. Luckily it is an easy fix. I hope you have fun with this square.

 
 
Since it is February I thought I would also include an heart applique video if you would like to add a few to your squares. These are easy to work up and they do not take up much yarn.

 
I found this heart later, after I finished this post and I like how it is made so I wanted to give you some options so that your blanket will be unique to you and your family. I do not have any pictures ready for you of this heart. I am sorry. I will get some worked up for you in an upcoming post.
 
 
I know the Teresa(the lady in the second video) says to weave in the ends but you need to leave a long tail so that you can sew it on to your square or you can follow the instructions in this video.
 
I like to use the tail I left to sew on the applique and if you just weave in the yarn to the top stitches on the granny square the yarn should not show through on the back. Take your time and it will be perfect!
 
If two of these squares look smaller than the others, that is because they are. I finished the squares and I thought four were short a row so I added an extra row. Then I measured to double check only to discover that now they are to big! Now I have to go back and add an extra row to the first eight squares to make them even. Please measure your squares to save you some heartache and extra work. Depending on what size hook you use will be the size of your squares. Use the same hook for all of your squares. If there is a slight difference in size between the first batch and the second batch don't worry about it if it is around half an inch.

I am not overly fond of the boarder on this heart but I wanted to do both boarders for you.

I like just a basic heart shape. Which one do you like?

I just wanted to remind you that you can do any color combination that you like. You can follow the video pattern for each of your squares or you can change it up and go crazy. I am excited to see what your squares look like this month. Of course if you have any questions please ask.
 
 
I hope your day is filled with sweet inspiration, lots of love, and plenty of laughter. Be well my friends.
 



2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to starting this one soon! Love the heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I look forward to seeing your finished squares.

      Delete