The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Recipe Tuesday


Vegetarian meal planning becomes a chore and quickly loses its appeal.  After five weeks of lent my husband has become a lot more intolerant of meatless meals. It is amazing to me that it took five weeks of no meat before he started complaining. We are counting the days until Easter actively planning to eat a big bacon cheese burger.  Tonight I combined two recipes to make the meal last a little longer, well so my husband has a lunch tomorrow.

I took Kohlrabi Parmesan and crossed it with Macaroni and cheese.  It turned out really well but then I love the flavor of Kohlrabi.

Kohlrabi Parmesan
Makes: 4 servings Start to Finish: 20 mins
Ingredients

 ·       3 tablespoons butter or margarine

·       4 small kohlrabies (about 1 pound), peeled and coarsely shredded (3 cups) I roughly chop the veggies into bite size pieces. It is easier and goes a lot faster.
·       1 medium red or green sweet pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)

·       1 medium carrot, coarsely shredded (1/2 cup) I use 2

·       1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese or more

·       2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed I like to use fresh mint and basil. Use what you have growing in the garden or your favorite herb.

·       1/8 teaspoon salt

·       1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper

·       Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (optional)

·       Fresh thyme

Directions

1. In a large skillet melt margarine or butter. Stir in shredded kohlrabi, chopped red or green sweet pepper, and shredded carrot. Cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.



2. Stir in the 1/4 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese, thyme, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan or Romano cheese, if desired. Garnish with fresh thyme. Makes 4 servings.



To combine this to Macaroni and Cheese I made a pan of elbow noodles and then tossed the vegetable mixture with the noodles and added more cheese. I also added lemon juice to the whole mixture It was really good.  If you want to try something new this is a great recipe.

I hope you enjoy this recipe and that you day is full of love and laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment