The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

The first Granny square


Our first granny square will be from Bobwilson123. I really enjoy her style of teaching and she uses US terms. Please choose a crochet hook that you are comfortable with and use that to make all of your squares so that all 60 of the squares will have a better chance of being the same size. I am going to use an I hook which is 5.50 MM.
Here are my hook, scissors, yarn needle, and a ruler.
These yarn needles come in plastic and metal, bent and straight. They all work the same.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

This is a basic granny square. Something that is easy to follow along with and will help us to build up our confidence. I am going to do a few of these in my background color. If you want to be brave or already know how to change colors feel free to be as creative as you want to be. Here are my finished squares for the month.
The video is for a small square which is likely going to happen again but it is easy to add a couple of rows to make each square 8x8. This also makes it easier to add the border around the squares because I have a good idea on when to change colors. The heart on the dark blue square is just sewn on to the granny square. I am thinking about doing an extra post in the future on applique in case you would like to add little embellishments to your blanket.

To be honest I wanted to show you that the squares are all basically the same size. You can tell in both pictures that they look a little wonky but that is totally normal and will not be noticeable once we sew them all together. If you are new to crocheting my best advice is, "Just keep making the squares and each one will get better."
 
Here is a video that gives you some advice on how to end one color and then change to a new color. Because our squares are slightly different so just pay attention to how he changes colors. I like to weave in my ends because I think it is more secure in the long run.
 
 So here is the video on how I like to weave in my ends. Do the technigue that works best for you.




Here is a great video to help show you how to weave in the extra tails at the end of each of the squares. I personally think it is better to weave in the ends as I go along, mostly because the idea of weaveing in 120-360 ends at once seems daunting.
 
 
I would love to see how your squares turn out. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them. I hope you enjoy crocheting with me.
 
I hope that your day is filled with inspiration, love, and laughter. Be well my friends.




8 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this project! I'm starting late and am going to work to catch up. I'm wondering if you have recommendations on yarn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Red Heart Yarn and I love this yarn for all of these squares. So far the only yarn I am not fond of is 'Caron Simply Soft' the yarn is loose so I have problems with the hook going through the yarn and pulling only a small thread through the stitches. I hope you enjoy making the granny squares.

      Delete
  2. Obviously I don't post comments often. I didn't mean to post as unknown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is okay. Thank you for posting a comment.

      Delete
  3. Love the tutorials!! Thank you for making this do-able for me!!

    ReplyDelete