The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Granny Square project.

This year I want to make a granny square blanket. I was hoping that maybe you would like to follow along with me.

The first thing is to decide on the size of the blanket. I found this terrific chart on blanket sizes and how many squares is needed to complete a blanket http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/tips/afghsize.shtml

Most Common Afghan Sizes and How Many Squares They Take
Item and Actual Size in Inches Afghan Measurements in Inches Number of 6x6 in (15x15cm) Squares Needed Number of 8x8 in (20x20cm) Squares Needed Number of 12x12 in (30x30cm) Squares Needed
Preemie / Pet 15-24 square 9 (3x3) OR
16 (4x4)
8 (2x2) OR
9 (3x3)
4 (2x2)
Isolette (Hospital) / Large Pet 36 square 36 (6x6) 25 (5x5) 9 (3x3)
Bassinet
14x33
16 x 36 18 (3x6) 10 (2x5) N/A
Cradle
18x36
20 x 36 24 (4x6) 15 (3x5) 6 (2x3)
Crib
27x52
30 x 54 45 (5x9) 28 (4x7) 15 (3x5)
Toddler / Lapghan (Wheelchair) 36 x 48 48 (6x8) 30 (5x6) 12 (3x4)
Child 42 x 48 56 (7x8) 36 (6x6) 16 (4x4)
Twin Bed / Adult
39x75
48 x 78 104 (8x13) 60 (6x10) 28 (4x7)
Long Twin Bed
39x80
48 x 84 112 (8x14) 66 (6x11) 28 (4x7)
3/4 Size Bed
48x75
54 x 78 117 (9x13) 70 (7x10) 35 (5x7)
Double Bed / Large Adult
54x75
60 x 78 130 (10x13) 80 (8x10) 35 (5x7)
Long Double Bed
54x80
60 x 84 140 (10x14) 88 (8x11) 35 (5x7)
Queen Bed
60x80
66 x 84 154 (11x14) 99 (9x11) 42 (6x7)
King Bed
76x80
80 x 84 196 (14x14) 110 (10x11) 49 (7x7)


I want to put a blanket on the back of my couch so that I can use it while I cuddle one of my three boys (husband is included) and watch a movie. So I am going to make a Twin size blanket. So all of my calculations will be based on the highlighted numbers above. Which means 60 8x8 granny squares in all.

What I have decided is to have ten different granny square patterns, Which means one new granny square a month but we will need to make six granny squares. In theory all of the granny squares will be done in ten months (October) and November will be sewing all of them together and December will be the boarder. Hopefully it will be finished for Christmas.

I think that we will need to have 6-8 balls of yarn to complete the project. I am going to do a boarder around my squares to help to make the smaller granny squares 8X8 or Just make the last round in my background color to help fit all of the squares together. Truthfully this is my very first granny square blanket so I am just hoping it turns out. I will post a picture of my finished granny squares, the link to the pattern, and/or any youtube videos that will help us along.

I would love to see your finished granny squares if you decide to follow along with me. Also feel free to post your comments, questions, or advice on the granny squares.

I hope your day is filled with inspiration, love and laughter. Be well my friends




16 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm just starting with granny squares. This will come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading along. Good luck on your blanket.

      Delete
  2. I don't know if you'll answer this since I'm coming in a full year & a half after the last post but I'll ask my question anyway and hope for an answer. I have about 45 squares finished so far for the large afghan I'm making. I thought I was crocheting 6x6 squares but when I found my daughter-in-law's measuring tape and measured them, my squares are only 5x5 inch squares! I used a 5.5 (I) crochet hook. I'm using Hobby Lobby's exclusive "I Love This Yarn" 7 oz. 100% acrylic 355 yards per skein yarn. I've found in the past that it washes out super soft! The yarn says to use 5.5mm I-9 hook. I didn't make my stitches tight or anything. So what went wrong and how do I figure out how many squares I'll need to complete a large afghan or twin size bed afghan? Is there some mathematical equation that will tell me? Or how many do I add to your chart? I hope you'll answer my question. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry it took me so long to reply to you. I took a very long break from blogging. I have a secret for you lean in close. Ready? You did nothing wrong. If the twin blanket is 48 inches across and 78 inches down I would change it to 50 x 80 or 45x75 for some easy math. Divide both numbers by 5 so you end up with 10x16 or 9x15 You either have to make 160 squares or 135 to make a twin size blanket. I hope this helps again I am so sorry it took me so long to reply.

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much. You answered the question I was wondering about and that just made my day! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, so i started making a blanket with granny squares and well i added different color double stitch edging around each square, which changed my squares from 6x6 to 7x7 inch how many squares do i need to make to fit as a tv throw blankets for a average sized person? wish there was an equation to use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take the inches of the blanket you decide to make and divided it by the inch size of the granny square. Adult throw is 54x66. 54/7= 7.7 then 66/7=9.4 round each one up to largest number 7.7=8 9.4=10 Multiple the 8x10=80 and you get the amount of square you need. 80 granny squares.

      Delete
  5. I am in the process of making a granny square afghan for a full size couch. If I am doing six rounds how many blocks would i need to complete this? I am planning on putting a white edging on it.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much. I am making an afghan for my 3 year old daughter, only 30 more square to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much. I am making an afghan for my 3 year old daughter, only 30 more square to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many seven and a half inch squares do I need for a full size bed with some hangover

    ReplyDelete
  9. HS Soft Coral Bed Blanket from Bizarkdeal

    This is soooooo soft. I got it as a throw for my guest room but it's so nice that it's usually in the front room being used by my boyfriend while watching TV. It's plenty long so if you are sitting in a recliner you can tuck it under your feet and still pull it all the way up to your neck even if you're 6 feet tall. It's not the warmest blanket in the world so if you run hot this will be great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in the process of making an afghan for a full size three cushion couch. The lady whom I am making it for wants it to cover the back of the couch and the seat of the couch. She also wants me to make throws for the arms of the couch. I am doing granny squares going around 5 times with an H hook. Each granny square measures 8 inches. So how many granny squares total do I need for the back of the couch and across the couch.

    ReplyDelete