The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 23: A picture of your favorite book.

Day 23: A picture of your favorite book.
These are the books that we have bought over the years and only a small fraction of the books that I have read in my lifetime. I love books. I love the smell of books, the look of books, the feel of books. So asking what my favorite books are is like asking me to pick my favorite star. My love affair with books started when I was very young. If you have been reading my other blog post I bet you have an idea that I was raised in a very abusive home. I was often isolated from family and friends so books became a comforting escape, a friend to turn to in the darkness, and as I got older they are still a comfort to me.  Back to the idea of a favorite books.

I used to read the Shinning every year and is still my favorite of Stephan King Novels. It's creepy hotel always scares me no matter how many times I read it. I am looking forward to letting my kids get chills from the twins in the blood filled halls.
I love The Time Travelers Wife and I have read it many times. This story is a heart breaking love story. I get teary just thinking of it.
I love most of Jodi Picult's books. I have chosen Keeping Faith because it is layered with all the questions of faith that you can have. Then this little girl with stigmata is presenting us with the answers. It is very touching like most of her books.
I fell in Love with Nicolas Sparks when I read a walk to remember and have bought and given away a least 6 of these books. I feel out of love with him after I read Dear John and have struggled to read his books after that one. I hope to one day forgive him and be able to read his work again.
I love Sophie Kinsella Books. All of them They are so funny and witty and just plain fun to read. I picked Confessions of a Shopaholic because I look forward to reading every new one that comes out. While I was looking for the book I ended up pulling out books that I wanted to put in to my favorite list and I felt like I was cheating on all the books that aren't going to make the post. Finally I had to stop. These 7 books are all very different and loved for different reasons. I got Gone With the Wind from my Great Grandma Alice. I love reading this and Scarlet because she read them first, that and they are classics. I love Jacquelyn Mitchard I chose Cage of Stars to represent her because it starts with heartbreak and finishes with forgiveness. I have read Zoya more times than I can count. The Joy Luck Club is about discovering yourself while discovering your past. Love it! I love Walt Witman. I love poetry! E.E. Cummings wrote my favorite poems. Billy Crystals 700 Sundays is a journey you get to take with the author. In fact I bought the book after I read it from the library.

I have to mention Nora Roberts because I love her. I have a self devoted to her. I love her trilogy's and the connections she makes through her books. Honestly I want to write stories that the characters  intertwine through more than one book. I think she is a master of that. I hope to one day give her a run for her money. 

I am not mentioning any cookbooks even though besides school textbooks I read them the most. I do love to cook. Any book not listed here is not unloved or even loved less and maybe on another day all of the books I have listed wouldn't make the list. It is day by day. Like I said before I love to read, and I LOVE Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment