The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Fourth Granny Square

It's April! How are you doing so far? If you are a little behind don't worry there is still time to catch up. Besides it is not a race to the finish. Take your time all of these posts will be here when you are ready to move on to the next square. As you may already know my Birthday is in April. I decided that I wanted flowers. This is my favorite square so far. I love how it looks in one solid color and in multi-colors. I hope you like it as much as I do. It is easier than it looks. I promise.


You can find the written pattern here
Sometimes I find it helpful just to read the pattern after I have made a couple of these squares with the video.
 
My squares look a little wonky this month. I am not worried. If your squares look a little wonky from time to time just go with it. Everything will work out in the end.
 

The lady who makes this video is very soft spoken so be prepared to turn up the volume. Also she tells you the instructions as she is doing it so you may want to watch the video all the way through first. I am going to type out the instructions so that it might help follow along.
 
1. Start with a magic ring
 (here is a video if you're not quite sure how to do a magic loop)
5 single crochets into the magic ring close the ring with a slip stitch.
2. Chain 1. two single crochets in every stitch. slip stitch to first single crochet 
3.Chain 1, two single crochets in every stitch then slip stitch to first single crochet
4.You can change color here or stay with a single color. Chain 1, *single crochet in 3, two single crochets in the next stitch* repeat *-* Slip stitch to first single crochet
5. In the next stitch half double crochet, double crochet, triple crochet chain two in next single crochet triple crochet, double crochet, half double crochet (your first ear). skip next stitch, Single crochet in next four stitches skip a stitch. half double crochet, double crochet, triple crochet, chain two and in next stitch triple crochet, double crochet, half double crochet (The second ear!)slip stitch into next stitch. The lady says you can stop here or finish the round with single crochets until you reach the first ear then end with a slip stitch.. That is what I did.
 
6. Now for the eyes. Start with a magic ring than three single crochets into the ring, slip stitch into first single crochet.
7. two single crochets into every stitch slip stitch to finish
8. Repeat rows 6 and seven to make two eyes
For the record I find it hard to work with dark colors like black and brown. For some reason the stitches are hard to see so I recommend using a light color for the eyes. If you struggle making the eyes you can always sew on little buttons instead.
For the beak I chained three and then one single crochet in the middle and then chained one.
Also I used a G/4mm hook. Use a bigger hook to make it easier.
Good luck!
I think it looks better when you change the color. That is up to you.
 
 
 I hope your day is filled with inspiration, love, and laughter. Be well my friends.


2 comments:

  1. Oh I love your squares this month!

    I am sooo behind!!! But I am not going to give up. I will find my happy medium and start catching up. You are so great for the tutorials and writing it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am slowing down too. I better start working on May's square! Eek.

    ReplyDelete