The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Recipe Tuesday Spaghetti Sauce take one

As promised today is the first spaghetti sauce post. Why say the first you ask? Good question because I want to give you more than one way to make sauce to help prove how easy it is to make and to encourage you to make up your sauce as you go. If you search google for spaghetti sauce recipes there are bond to be a billion different ways to do it. Maybe there are better ways than my way but we like it around here. In my opinion the only two things you need for spaghetti sauce are tomatoes and wine and even the wine is debatable. This is how I made the sauce tonight.


Trisha's (You name should go here) not so world famous spaghetti sauce.

Ingredients

Olive oil (but any vegetable oil works)
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 small onion
3-5 cloves of garlic
3 small carrots
Herbs (oregano, thyme, basil, or that Italian herb mix you can get at the store)
mushrooms (I don't know. Erin maybe 8 - or a package of sliced how much do you like mushrooms?)
Red wine (I like Cabernet Sauvignon but I used Pinot, sometimes I use Merlot tonight. So any red you have on hand will do)
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp sugar

Water
Pasta
Are you new to wine? I like Barefoot wines $5, Simply Naked $8, Cupcake $8, confession I also like Trader Joe's $3 wine.  The trick is to use wine that you enjoy drinking. It really does add something extra to it

Directions

If you are in a hurry you can put your water on to boil. Give yourself a little window and turn the heat on to medium heat. Pour some olive oil into your pan and turn on the heat to about medium. Dice your onion, mince your garlic, and roughly chop your carrot and throw it in your pan.
While your vegetables are cooking now is a good time to chop up your mushrooms. If you have slice mushrooms get them ready to go into the pot.
I got these mushrooms from a local farm yum! Okay so I went to the Farmers Market and bought 2 pounds. It still counts.
Get ready to open your cans. Okay so I was going to use sauce but changed my mind. Do what I say not what I take pictures of. 1 can crushed tomatoes and 2 cans diced.
This is what your sauce will look like.
Now is a good time to add your herbs.
Today I used oregano, and thyme. Also add your salt and pepper and your red pepper flakes just a shake or two. and your sugar. Stir it all up.
Now comes the wine. One for the sauce and one for you.
This is how the sauce looks after the wine.  By now your water should be boiling so you can either cook your pasta now or let the sauce cook down a little for ten or so minutes. You will know the thickness you like. But if you cook the noodles now dinner will be ready when they are. The sauce might be a touch runny but no big deal it will still be thicker than store bought sauce. If you don't like chunky sauce run it through the blender. This means spaghetti sauce is a great way to hide vegetables such as eggplant, and squash. You can also brown some grass fed beef before you through in the onions if you like meat in your sauce. I like it with out the meat.
 
Here is my finished sauce

So I had a hard time getting a picture with out steam in it. But I kind of like the steam in this one.
 
 I recommend you put cheese on top of your spaghetti and sing while you eat. I prefer cheddar or Parmesan but use the kind you have to shred yourself. Or your favorite kind.

I hope your day is filled with inspiration, love, and laughter. Be well my friends.

2 comments:

  1. Haha thanks for looking out for me on this!! I am getting better! ;) This looks fantastic! I can not wait to make a huge batch with the hubby! Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! Please let me know how your sauce turns out.

      Delete