The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Crackers

I have been wanting to make crackers for the house for awhile but most of the time I am a bit to lazy, no really I am busy... Today I made these wonderful crackers from http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/10/31-days-cooking-from-scratch-homemade.html

I made little duck shaped crackers. Because I like to make shapes in baked goods. They turned out super yummy.

Maybe I overestimated the amount that I was making this morning. I will make some more to fill the Big Jar.

I like the little duckling crackers. You can use any shape you want to make your crackers. Squares are easy as you just roll out the dough and cut them into small squares. Triangles the same thing. I also like hearts, dinosaurs, alphabet, and dog bones (scooby snacks anyone?). Be creative.


Whole Wheat DIY Cheese-Its

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour (or white whole wheat flour)
  • 1/2 C white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt {+ more for garnish}
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 2/3 C water
  • 1 C extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated & at room temp

Directions

Combine the flour (2 C flour – divided between whole wheat & white whole wheat flour, if desired) together with 1/2 tsp. sea salt in a large bowl. I use the bowl of my stand mixer.

Add in the 2/3 C water (room temp or cold is just fine), and 2 T olive oil.

Add to this the shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (1 C) that is at room temperature.
Then, either by hand, or using the dough hook on your mixer, knead the dough for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth & well mixed.

At this point, find a clean work surface. Lay out a towel, and place 2-3 cookie sheets on top of those towels. If desired, you can place parchment paper on each cookie sheet.

Divide the dough in half, or in thirds (depending on how many cookie sheets you have.

Roll the dough out on the cookie sheet, rolling as thin as you can – about 1/8th inch thick. Pay close attention to getting the middle thin too! Use a pizza cutter and cut the dough into crackers about 1 inch by 1 inch in size
Prick each cracker with a fork, and sprinkle the entire tray with sea salt, if desired. If you do sprinkle the crackers with sea salt, gently press the salt into the crackers with your hands.

Bake each tray of crackers at 375 for 15-20 minutes. Set the buzzer for 10 minutes and then for every 3-5 minutes after that.


I hope that you are having a wonderful day filled with love and laughter and yummy snacks. Be well Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment