The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Towanda!

Righter of Wrongs, Queen Beyond Compare! Is there anything better than Fried Green Tomatoes? Yes, when they are on my sandwich. I love both the movie and the book but today I decided to be a little bad, I made fried green tomatoes from the garden. One word, YUM! My mouth is humming and the children asked for more and tried to eat them hot. Seriously good. So Here is the recipe that I used. There are several out there so if you have a favorite already I would love to see how you make yours.

Fried Green Tomatoes

Ingredients

Four big green tomatoes if you are buying them from the store, I used about six or so small tomatoes from the garden. I say use how ever many you have because the more the better.

 2 eggs beaten in a bowl

1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I used panko but any kind will do)
salt and pepper
a dash of Cayenne
1 teaspoon of sugar

1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup butter

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Slice the tomatoes about 1/4 of an inch thick. Heat the oil and butter over medium low heat. Dig the tomatoes in the egg and then the flour mixture and into the frying pan about two minutes on each side or golden brown.

I am sorry for the picture of the leftover tomatoes. We gobbled up all of the pretty ones almost as fast as they came out of the pan.

We put these babies on bread and topped it a slice of cheddar, and a squirt of mustard.

I hope you are having a wonderful day filled with Love and laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment