The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Shades of Grey Debate


Sorry I have not been very active on the old blog lately. I have been busy with school and family. Have you heard of the book Shades of Grey? Of course you have it feels like it is everywhere right now. I am going to say at least 90% of all of my female friends are reading these books. I have been on the fence and have read lots of blogs and reviews and have asked my friends for their opinions. Here is what I found people really love it or hate it. The message is about love conquering fetishes or about submission. As you can see people are either on board or not.

I have never been one to jump on the bandwagon of popular culture (really I want to make my own clothes so that I can add wonky flavor). I have never read or watched Twilight. Here is why vampires are dead people complete with no heart beat or body warmth, they eat people (or at least blood of some living creature). To me this freaks me out! I do not care if they twinkle or are ruggedly handsome they are DEAD. That is like wanting a zombie. Back to Shades of Grey I walked past the book in Target and then walked back. I picked it up and opened the book just to see the words and you know I opened it up to the page containing the contract. If you have read you know what the contract is, if you haven't read it the contract is basically makes the main female character into a sex slave. It outlines what she can wear, how she can exercise, and what is expected of her. I will not judge you if you have read it. It is a book and it does not represent who you are as a person and I would love to hear your take on the issue.

My biggest concern is the BDSM that is involved in the book bondage, discipline, dominance, submission, sadism, masochism. A friend assured me that there was nothing to weird but I am not interested in any of those actions. Here are a couple of quotes from the books



“Does this mean you’re going to make love to me tonight, Christian?” Holy shit. Did I just say that? His mouth drops open slightly, but he recovers quickly.
“No, Anastasia it doesn’t. Firstly, I don’t make love. I fuck… hard. Secondly, there’s a lot more paperwork to do, and thirdly, you don’t yet know what you’re in for. You could still run for the hills. Come, I want to show you my playroom.”
My mouth drops open.
Fuck hard! Holy shit, that sounds so… hot. But why are we looking at a playroom? I am mystified.



So this is the girl's first encounter with sex and this seems okay?





“He grabs me suddenly and yanks me up against him, one hand at my back holding me to him and the other fisting in my hair.
"You're one challenging woman," He kisses me, forcing my lips apart with his tongue, taking no prisoners.
"It's taking all my self-control not to
fuck you on the hood of this car, just to show you that you're mine, and if I want to buy you a fucking car, I'll buy you a fucking car," he growls.”

Good for him, controlling himself.

“...the physical pain from the bite of the belt is nothing, nothing compared to this devastation.”

The truth is until I started writing this post for you I was still on the fence. Hey I like to read corset ripping novels that is more about the bedroom then the story line. I don't need to be forced fed the whole picture in the bedroom to get the point. I also do not want this book in the house where my male children could pick it up and read it. In my opinion this is not how men should treat women. Also between you and me I do not like profanity. There is a time and a place,  but it offends me that there are no other words to describe rough sex, or extreme need.  This book is erotica for women.  Maybe it is fun to read. But I think I will pass, and when the movie comes out I will pass on that too.  I do believe that love conquers all but I do not believe that a woman should be made to feel like less because it pleases a dominating partner. Sex is just sex until you love somebody. Trust me I know.

Sorry about the rambling but you helped me to make my decision on this small matter. Now I can stop debating. Thank you.

I hope you have a wonderful day filled with Love and Laughter. Be well my friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment