The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Why Hello 2012


I started to read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert recently and at the beginning she is struggling with what it is she wants. An Honest question that I have asked myself many, many times in all of the variations of that question, the answer often changes or sound contracting even to me.

Who is it I want to be?

I want to be a good person.

            Sometimes I feel like I am not as good as I can be. I want to be better, so that I can teach my boys by example of what a good person looks like. I want to be someone they can be proud of for their whole lives.

I want to be a good mother.

            I am mostly a good mother. I know I make mistakes and sometimes I know right in the moment that I have screwed up and will never live it down. Between you and me being a mother makes me a better person for them. It is one of the few things I would consider to be my best quality.  I love being a mother 99.9% of the time.

I want to be a good housekeeper.

            This is my weakest link. I am a better housekeeper then my mother when I was growing up but I often fall behind. I have a terrible habit of putting mail down here, there, anywhere so clutter stacks up.  I am always trying to improve to force myself to be better at staying on top of the house cleaning.

I want to be a good wife.

            If you ask my lovely husband he might proclaim me a work of art, perfection in the works. I pay him to say things like that. I love him and I am glad that we get to grow old together.

 I want to be a good cook.

            I love to cook. I read cookbooks for fun. Seriously I have been reading Jamie Oliver’s America (I need this book) I got so excited reading about roasting avocados and how it gives the creamy fruit a nutty rustic flavor.  I love, love food. I can always improve by trying more recipes. I stopped letting the kids eat store bought cereal so I could use some easy breakfast recipes.  

 I want to be a writer.

            Even if I am terrible I write poems in the shower, at night before bed, while washing dishes. I also dream about fictional characters’ lives waiting to be told. I randomly take notes on ideas I have to come back to later. I write this blog, and school papers. At the heart of this the very fabric of me is a writer good or bad.  

 I want to be educated.

I am getting a B.A. in English in about six or so years. So I am getting there slowly but surely.

I want to be sustainable.

            Right now we buy about 80% of our food from local farmers all located within twenty miles give or take a few miles. We planted fruit trees, and vegetables. We are getting there.  We stopped using paper towels, plates, napkins, personal products, and are washing then reusing the cloth versions of all of these things. I am sure there is more that we can do like solar panels but we cannot afford them now, and we are not sure if our HOA would allow us to put them in.

I want to be happy.

            I am happy. I believe that happiness is a choice. I actively choose to be happy even when it is hard.

I want a relationship with God.

            This is something that has taken me thirty years to come to this point in my life. Easter of this year we will become Catholic. I have struggled to find where God wants me to be. When I attend Mass I feel like I am home. After many churches, and reading on many different religion’s I found my place. If you are an Atheist and wonder how an intelligent person can believe in an invisible man in the sky, It is a choice. I see God’s work in the trees, flowers, and I feel at peace knowing that God is with me and my children. It is the one gift that I am most proud of giving to my children. I believe.

This list is a fraction of the things on my list of who I want to be. I am glad that you are on this journey with me. I am a work in progress, but aren’t we all progressing in one way or another. Your list may not look like mine but I bet you have one too. Something that helps guide the path you travel in life.  I want to leave you with Robert Frost

The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference


I hope that 2012 is filled with Love and Laughter. Be well my dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment