The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Love Language


Have you read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman? My husband and I read this book a few years ago, I think maybe four years ago, I can't remember if we had James yet, I just remembered we did have James he was a baby so three years ago we read the book. I know it is not important when we read it, but it was bothering me so I had to work through it. Thanks for bearing with me. This month we have made it to being married for Ten Years. I have been thinking a lot about why we only have one single day to reflect upon our marriage and celebrate each other. I love my husband every day, and I am still thankful that he chose me even after all of these years. This morning that book came floating into my mind and I was inspired. I am going to reread this slowly working through all of the activities with the hopes of building my husband up without his knowing. Also I wonder if it would work for my kids. I have no idea what love language each of my children speak so it might be revealing and help to bring us all closer together, and it starts with me. Yesterday at dinner Damian asked if we could give up meat for lent, and my husband said he didn’t want to give up meet and alcohol (I had talked about giving up alcohol, wine for lent). That is when it hit me hard, these people depend on me to guide them, that I am the spiritual guide for our family, and I am the one that they look to as an example (well the kids, and my husband is the head of the house). I think maybe this is a good opportunity for me to become a better version of myself as a mother and a wife.



There are Five Love Languages



1. Words of Affirmation

2. Quality Time

3. Receiving Gifts

4. Acts of Service

5. Physical touch
 

When we read this my love language was Acts of Service and physical touch, and my husband’s was Quality Time and Physical touch. It is possible that they can change but it is unlikely. Still I am going to work slowly through this book starting at Chapter 1. I will update you on how it is going in the next week or so.



I hope your week is filled with Love and Laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment