The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Lessons Learned 27 Nov

Lessons I learned this week.

First I spent the week reading and then rereading Dante's Inferno. There are eight circles in Hell and each one more depraved then the last.

College makes me feel dumb. The reason I reread Dante's Inferno is because half the time I did not know what was going on.

Everything becomes clearer the second time around. I do not have to fight the language while reading because I laid the ground work for my poor brain to get it the first time.

Printing out a map of the Inferno is a great help to process what is going on where. Dante was an extremely brilliant intelligent man.

Sunday I opened the bible to Matthew 5:43-48 and began to read Jesus telling the people to love there enemies.
 “You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Then Mass was about Matthew 25:40 and 46
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." and "Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Of course we read through the whole story in church but for my purpose of sharing the best moment in church we will keep it short. (look it up in the bible it is worth the time) What ever we do for the least of the people we do for the Lord. After church Rob and I were talking about our life plans to homestead, or a small farm we talked about our vision for the farm. I want to be able to give to people in need. To give a box to a family in need so that they are able to receive healthy food for their children. We both agreed that we would not be going into the venture to get rich but to live comfortable within our needs. Rob loves the idea of working with a church or soup kitchen or another organization to help feed the hungry.

We got to go out and meet the Chickens that lay my eggs. Rob fell in love with the farm. I am so impressed by how The Hanson Family Farm is run. All of their animals are relaxed wondering around eating whatever green grass they can find. It is south Texas and the Grass is finally coming around with the cool weather. We talked about how hard it is to get non GMO feed for the animals. They are truly amazing and it is also exciting to see that it can be done. I am also glad that we get to help support their family. I hope that they liked us because Rob wants to work their on the weekends. I want to encourage you all to find a local small farm that you can support. Because for the first time I feel like how we eat makes a difference. It makes a difference to the farmers, and it makes a difference to my children. They get to see how our food is raised. If I could completely abandon the grocery store I would. Maybe in the future I will be able to. Living on local food means that you are more likely to buy healthy meat from people who care for the animals. It is nice to know that the Cows, chickens, pigs, and turkeys (they are not set up to sell their boiler hens or turkey yet but I am hoping they will be soon) all have/had a very happy life. Happy animals makes for a happy meal. Really you can support the factory farms that feed chickens arsenic and then feed the chicken poop to the cows, where these animals never see grass, or even the sun if it happens to be a chicken. Their is so much that the large factory farms should be ashamed of doing but we the people support it. I am telling you that can spend a little more and support a happy farm that you would be proud to be even a small part of. I could go on about how great grass feed meet tastes, and how good it is for you but I am going to step off my little soap box now.


I hope that your week is filled with unexpected lessons that fill you up with joy, Love and Laughter. Be Well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment