The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Recipe Tuesday

I know I am publishing my favorite recipes early this week but I have been thinking about it all week. This week is Egg week. A simple frittata and Egg in the Hole. Both easy and if you haven't tried either one yet today is a good day to do so.

I buy my eggs from a family farm. They are fresh when I get them and I go through 4 dozen eggs in two weeks. I love eggs, my kids love eggs, and I am a baker. I did not always love eggs. I used to find them disgusting that runny weirdness that we call store bought eggs. These are the eggs I grew up with. Then when we made the switch to store bought eggs I found out why you would name an egg dish Sunny Side Up. They are beautiful. Really. The yoke is thick it can be hard to break. The whites are clear and also kind of thick too. Really comparing store bought to farm fresh eggs should be a crime. If you can find a farm near you I encourage you to support a local farmer and find your love for eggs.

The Frittata


I browned the sausage and onion then added the spinach. If you are using fresh spinach it cooks down so use a lot. Then you use 6-8 eggs beaten with a little milk and salt and pepper and shredded cheese. Pour this egg mixture over the sausage mixture. Put some shredded cheese on top to make it pretty. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or when the eggs are firm. Serve hot. Easy.

I have made Frittatas with potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, mixed vegetables, broccolli, hamburger, corn, honestly I think you can make it with any number of ingrediants. For you recipe lovers out there here is a recipe from Allrecipes.com to help yout hrough your first Frittata

 American Frittata
Serves 8 ready in 30 minutes

Ingredients
  • 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 onions, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 8 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup cubed ham
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft.
  3. Stir in eggs, drained potatoes, ham, salt and pepper. Cook until eggs are firm on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Top frittata with shredded cheese and place in preheated oven until cheese is melted and eggs are completely firm, about 10 minutes.
Enjoy! I haven't tried this recipe yet.

Finally the  Egg in the Hole. I got it out of The Pioneer woman cooks.

You melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a pan. Cut a hole out of a piece of bread. Place the bread into the melted butter and after about 1 minute break an egg right into the hole. Don't forget to salt and pepper the egg.  After another minute or so flip the bread and egg over. Serve Hot. Yum!


I love making heart shaped holes and my boys love it too. So if you want to change it up and you have small cookie cutters experiment with your egg in the hole.

I hope your week is filled with Love and Laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment