The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

In the news

This morning I was trolling the news on Yahoo http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/philly-area-teacher-fired-her-controversial-blog-sues-211207163.html. Go ahead and take a minute if you haven't already read the article. It is about a teacher who got fired, she says it is because of her tell all blog, the school says that she was not teaching. My opinions are based on this one short article only as I have no real interest in reading hate filled blogs. The teacher should have been working to help the students in her class instead she rushed home to tell the world that they were lazy, disrespectful creatures. The teacher is suing the school for a violation of freedom of speech.

 Here is the thing how can you be a good teacher if you are putting down your students, parents, and coworkers? I understand that there are real problems in the school system I am a home school parent. When I kids are acting out I don't rush out to complain to the world, (well maybe a few close friends). I try to evaluate myself first, what am I doing to facilitate the problem behaviors and try to change. Now I get that teachers have 30 students on average but I know that a good teacher can and will create a learning environment.  There are teachers who go beyond the classroom to help teach others. For awhile I read a blog that was about the school lunches, that teacher wanted to help change the system for her students. I have friends with children in public schools there are good teachers, and then there are these teachers who prey on children. Yes, I do think she was preying on the bad behaviors to fuel her hate filled blog. The truth is Hate never, never solves anything!

Here is the question should people be held accountable for their negative actions or should they be ignored and allowed to continue under the guise of freedom of speech? Can people be allowed to bash and humiliate the people around them? It is free speech. Should teachers be held accountable for calling their students awful names whether it is true or not? It is free speech.

I do not know the answers but I have zero respect for people who bully. In my very humble opinion this is virtual bullying. Mind your words, people are watching, children are listening, be accountable for your own actions. How about the one we all should have been taught as children by a teacher, or parent. If you do not have anything nice to say, do not say it at all.

Believe it or not I am not against public school, much. The truth is that public school saved me when I was a child. At times I was lucky enough to have great teachers who saw me when I thought I was invisible, praise me when I knew I was nothing, encourage me when I was failing at life. Honestly thinking back to all the teachers I had I do not think that I ever had a truly bad teacher. Then again I was (and in some ways still am) a very quiet, shy girl who would never speak without being spoken to first.  Now if that lady was my teacher would she rush to her blog to tell the world that I was disinterested because I did not have my homework? Or would see the scared abused kid? That is the point we do not know what the other human being is going through in life. Maybe they are just lazy, but maybe she is a lazy teacher.

I hope you are having a wonderful day filled with love and laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment