The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Monday, June 18, 2012

For the love of Pinterest!

I am totally in love with Pinterest. I check it a couple of times a day just to see if anything new and wonderful has shown up as an inspiration. Yesterday I found the new greatest homemade treat for my ever growing obsession with all thing homemade. I found a recipe for homemade Chocolate Syrup here http://www.glorioustreats.com/2012/01/homemade-chocolate-syrup-recipe.html.


Homemade Chocolate Syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
In a small saucepan, add sugar, cocoa, and salt. Whisk together gently. Add water. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool. Store in the refrigerator.
For delicious chocolate milk, add 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup to 8 oz. of milk. Heat for hot chocolate.
For milk shakes, combine 1 cup cold milk, 1/4 cup chocolate syrup and 2 cups (1 pint) of vanilla ice cream to a blender. Blend.
This syrup would also make a delicious dessert garnish or ice cream topping.
Recipe source- Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 1968. http://www.glorioustreats.com/2012/01/homemade-chocolate-syrup-recipe.html

One warning, I doubled the recipe and used the same sauce pan because it did not seem like a lot of syrup and when the chocolate started to boil it flooded the stove top. I suggest you make a small batch to start out.
I took a picture of James and his slight milk mustache. I am currently the greatest mom ever.

Damian also found some joy in his glass. I love this picture.

He also ate four tomatoes with lunch today as you can tell by the random seed leftover on his chin.

I used two tablespoons and it was wonderful

Okay it was more like three tablespoons.

In my super special know it all opinion this taste better then the store bought version that are filled with lots of preservatives and high fructose corn syrup. As for calories the syrup is about 41.3 per tablespoon. So if you are trying to lose weight like me don't use three tablespoons. 

I hope you are having a sweet day filled with Love and laughter. Be well my friends.


2 comments:

  1. I, too, have a great love for Pinterst! This looks AWESOME!! I am so going to try this! i love your posts so much! You really inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really a great recipe. The kids have been asking for chocolate milk ever morning and even my husband who hates milk has been drinking it.

      Delete