The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Mostly Naked Trees

Spring is starting to settle in here in South Texas, there is sweet evidence blooming in my yard. I realized that doing one whole blog post dedicated to the garden is a lot. I am going to do going to do a couple of different updates on the garden. Today I will show you our lovely trees, who are hoping for a wetter year than the one we had last year. Hey did you know that the only year on record that can compete with our horrible 2011 weather is back in 1787. Can you imagine how bad it is when the researchers have to look back 224 to find a simular year. We had a total of 17 inches of rain last year and 10 inches all happened in November/December timeframe. I am hoping that this summer is better. Before I start showing you the pictures of the trees I have to tell you that we lost both of our pear trees. I guess pear trees planted down here are just looking for a reason to die. On the bright side at least we found a great nursery who can and will answer our questions honestly. That is a relief!
Okay so this is next to a tree but my mint is so Happy!

This is four different kinds of apples. Each branch is a different kind. I can not wait to take a bite out of one very Delicious apple. We are picking off the flowers when the petals fall off so that the tree will focus it's energy on growing roots. So I will not get any apples until maybe next year. Roots, shoots, and then fruit.
This is a Pakistan Mulberry tree. There is a very good chance we will get a couple berries this year and a lot next year.
This naked tree is a Super Berry Black Mulberry. It is supposed to be the fastest growing tree fruit tree. We will see. This tree can live for hundreds of years. This little tree will produce food for 200 years. I guess that makes up for the $80 dollars we invested in it. Short term I can't wait to see leaves.
This a Chocolate Persimmon. It blends into the fence, leaves will make this stick look more like a tree. Oh spring I am ready for you!
Fuyu Persimmon. It is short but I have high hopes that it will grow a couple of feet this year.
This is our friendly orange tree. He says hello and stays green for me. Maybe it is because we wrap him in Christmas lights during the winter. It gets cold here for about a minute.
Pomegranate. These are new leaves. Oh yes, I am not the only one ready for spring.

Lemon Eucalyptus. She is a heavy sleeper but when she wakes up she will grow. Last year she grew 3 feet. That is how we found out this small herb was a tree.
Jujube tree. Rob says it is like a small date tree. All I know is it has thorns. 

This is one out four Olive trees.

This is two out of four Olive Trees. I hope they grow fast because right now they are barely two feet tall.

Celeste Fig. Check out that top leaf. I think it looks like a butterfly.

This is a branch off of the Brown Turkey Fig that wanted to be a tree.
This is the sister branch of the Brown Turkey Fig. It has a little frost damage but it is still strong.
This is the Orignal Brown Turkey Fig.
Finally The Pecan tree. This is the only tree that looks like a tree. It is seven feet tall and is just itching to grow. Or maybe that is me. I think this tree is going to steal the show.


Those are our fruit trees. I like to watch them grow and see the changes that they make and dream of fruit pie, sweet jellies. and bowls of homegrown fruit. We do have two oak trees and a crape mertle that are not featured. They look like trees and I don't want to give the other trees a complex.

I hope that your day is filled with Wonder, Love, and Laughter. Be well my friends.







No comments:

Post a Comment