The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Recipe for Candy

I made caramels for the first time ever. They turned out better than I could have ever imagined. Since I have a few minutes alone I decided to share it with you. I found this recipe on Betty Crocker's website  you can click this link to get to it. http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/salted-whiskey-caramels/f99a3a51-1115-4b69-b291-11b479bba7db


 Salted Whiskey Caramels           
Salted Whiskey Caramels
               

Makes 36 squares

Ingredients
5 table spoons of butter
1 cup whipping cream
2 oz (1/4 cup) honey flavored whiskey (I used a small two dollar bottle of any whiskey please)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (I used regular salt)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon coarse sea salt (Again I used what I had) 
  1. Line 9-inch square pan with parchment paper(Side note do not use wax paper! The candy will stick to it); spray with cooking spray.
  2. In 1-quart saucepan, heat butter, whipping cream, whiskey, vanilla and salt to boiling, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
  3. In 3-quart saucepan, mix sugar, corn syrup and water. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. DO NOT STIR. Boil until sugar turns a light golden amber color and candy thermometer reads 310°F.
  4. When sugar mixture reaches 310°F, add cream mixture (Be careful it is going to foam up fast). Beating with whisk, cook until thermometer reads 248°F. Pour caramel into pan; cool 10 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt; cool completely.
  5. Cut into squares; wrap individually in parchment paper.
Makes 36 squares
Make the Most of This Recipe With Tips From The Betty Crocker® Kitchens
Have everything ready and prepped before you start cooking the sugar—prepare your pan and measure out all of your ingredients.
Use a candy thermometer. Candy making is scientific and you need to reach the correct temperatures to ensure the correct end result. If you do not use temperatures, then your caramel will either be too hard or too soft.


I did copy this recipe from the website. I love Betty Crocker. This really is an easy recipe and every one who tries these homemade caramels will think you are truly a domestic goddess.
I hope you holidays are filled with magical moments, love and laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment