The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Ornaments


A couple of years ago my husband and I bought a big box of wonderful matching tree decorations. We were so excited to finally have a respectable tree. I especially had visions of people coming far and wide to see our wonderful tree in its entire perfect beauty.  Yes, I can be unreasonable delusional. The point is I knew that our tree would be perfect. Then we decorated the tree and it was perfect for five minutes when the reality of having young kids hit. James wanted to play with all of the pretty balls, Damian want to rearrange all of the store bought decorations every hour. When I was finished pulling out my hair to keep them away from the tree I put all of them back into the box and they do not come out any more. Lucky for me we were invited to a pottery place where the kids got to make their own ornaments. So they got put on the tree and a tradition was born. I forgot that the beauty of Christmas is found in the hearts of children that perfect is overrated. Now I let the kids decorate the tree with candy canes, homemade ornaments, and lights (The grown-ups hang the multicolored lights). Now we love the Christmas tree for its uniqueness, it is special to us. If the ornaments get broke it isn’t a big deal because we made them with love and laughter (sometimes a cranky mommy overwhelmed with giving the reins to the kids while we make ornaments) it all works out for the best.

This year I decided to try out the cinnamon applesauce  ornaments.  Here is the recipe from  http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1815,154190-231207,00.html 


APPLESAUCE - CINNAMON ORNAMENTS


Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1815,154190-231207,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
1 c. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. applesauce

Mix dry ingredients. Add applesauce a little at a time. Mixture should have consistency of playdough. If too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons applesauce. Roll 1/4 inch thick on ungreased surface. If too sticky, sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on level surface to dry 4-5 days. Insert fine wire at top of ornament before drying. Tie with ribbon. Yield 2 dozen.
I put them in the over at 200 degree for 2 hours. Also I used a straw and poked out holes in each ornament so that I could easily add the ribbon when they have cooled. The house smelled really yummy while they were baking.



I am sure that you can decorate these with a little glue and glitter, paint, markers, and googly eyes but my boys wanted them to go on to the tree as soon as they were cool enough to handle.

I hope that you have a very wonderful week filled with love and laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment