The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Recipe Tuesday

I know it's not Tuesday but let's pretend. Plus you may need today's recipe for the Halloween Movie marathon you have planed for this weekend. If you are like me, I hope you are, and have a love for popcorn. I really love popcorn. I like to eat it while I am reading my text books for school. This could be the reason I am not losing any weight, well that and the fact that I sit on my butt reading the online version because I am to Cheap to spring for the hard copy. Today I just wanted something easy to eat and to snack on so I thought of the bag of popcorn in my cabinet. Then I had an idea. A wonderful, truly awful idea Kettle Corn. Do your stomach just jump for joy? Mine did. Today's recipe is super easy and it comes from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/kettle-corn/detail.aspx . Have you been to Allrecipe.com yet? I love to get lost there sometimes I pretend to have dinner parties, or sweet romantic dinners for two, but I usually go for kid friendly. I like that you can look up things based on ingredients for all that fresh Zucchini I have been picking, or the eggs I love to buy from my farmer friend. Here is the recipe.

Kettle Corn
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels

Directions

  1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, stir in the sugar and popcorn. Cover, and shake the pot constantly to keep the sugar from burning. Once the popping has slowed to once every 2 to 3 seconds, remove the pot from the heat and continue to shake for a few minutes until the popping has stopped. Pour into a large bowl, and allow to cool, stirring occasionally to break up large clumps
 Here is my Kettle Corn
 Turns out it is a little difficult to take a picture in a bright yellow kitchen of popcorn in a glass bowl.
Everything turns yellow the popcorn, the bowl, the table. One day I will take a photography class

Have you ever heard of the three kernel test? I haven't so just in case you have not either I am going to share with you. When you are heating the oil put 3 pieces of popcorn in the oil when they pop the oil is ready. I wish I had know about this earlier. I have spent years trying to determine if the oil/butter was ready. Butter is good to pop the corn with but it is a little temperamental. I recommend sticking to oil but not Flax seed oil because it make the house and pop corn smell like dead fish. YUCK. I am eating the Kettle corn now and it is yummy. I may eat the whole bowl because the boys are currently pretending to take a nap. Rob is at work. They will never miss this wonderful sweet treat. Plus to be fair to my greediness I made 5 dozen cookies yesterday and between the boys they are all gone. So you are right it doesn't help, and now I feel guilty enough to save some. Maybe. I hope you enjoy your kettle corn as much as I have enjoyed mine.

I hope your weekend be filled with cute costumes, spooky movies, Kettle Corn, Love and Laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment