The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Hello Out There.

I have been absent and kind of in a little slump. I am taking a creative writing class and it is the first class that I have loved and hated at the same time. Don't get me wrong I have taken classes that I have loved (British Poetry) and classes that I have hated (Shakespeare) but this one is different. I have inhaled the two text books assigned and they have breathed new life and confidence in to my writing but that is the only thing good about the class. It is all peer review and the teacher is absent only grading papers a week later. I am frustrated by the lack of teaching, and the lack of criticism. That is not saying my peers are not doing the best that they can but it is hard to say, 'You need to fix the ending because it is unrealistic" or "Your characters are unrealistic" or "Why did you post this? There is only two paragraphs of gibberish here." when you are just trying to be nice. I want to let you in on a secret I would prefer all of that hard criticism then the soft you did a good job. One I can grow from the other is useless.

So I am frustrated because this class costs $800 and the books cost $85+. I feel like I should not get marked down because the teacher did not like my ending. The truth is I can not fix something that I do not know is broken and I do not think it was broken. I asked my husband who will lay it out for me. He is not shy and will tell when something is not working. He calls it tough love, even when I am upset by what he has to say I know he is probably right.  Am I upset for being marked down? No, I am upset that the teacher does not teach. I post my first final draft for peer review so that I can make changes if I need to. I post it four days before it is due in the forum and that is a full seven days before the final draft is due. Is there any reason why the teacher can not post a few words on these rough drafts? There are only eight of us in the class. . . I get it the teacher is busy and probably has more than one class but shouldn't the teacher teach?

I know I am ranting. I am sorry. I have a week and a half left of this class and then I will be in an Advanced Creative writing class. I hope it is better than this one. I am close to the credits I need to get an AA and I am thinking about stopping there because I am starting to lose interest in this school.

Thank you for allowing my to complain.

I hope your day is filled with inspiration, love, and laughter. Be well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment