The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

A short play


I wrote this short play for my class. It is the first play I have ever written and it received a better grade than my short story. Between you and me it was fun to write. Thank you for reading along with me.
 
BATTLEFIELD

____________

One Act Play

by

Trisha Bartlett

 

 

Characters

Lucy:         A woman in her late 30's.

Jim:          A man in his late 30's.

 

Scene

A small kitchen. There is a coffee pot on the counter and a small kitchen table with two chairs center stage. Lucy is sitting at the table with a cup of coffee when Jim stumbles in Drunk.

Time

Three am.

ACT I

 

LUCY: You're late again Jimmy.

JIM: I know but I had a hot hand and I just had to play it through. Don't be mad baby. (JIM sits across from LUCY)

LUCY: I'm not mad Jimmy. (LUCY gets up and pours another cup of coffee and hands it to JIM) You were drinking again, Jimmy.

JIM: Well sure, how else 'm I supposed to play poker?

LUCY: Straight. You're supposed to play straight.

JIM: (JIM laughs) Let me tell you how much I won. After Tommy got a little liquor in him he was an easy make. You know he gets crazy, starts flashin' his cards to the table and then acts surprised that we all know what his cards are. Bob left early but not early enough to leave with any pride. He said his wife, His Wife wanted him home at nine. He is whipped! I told him I got the best girl. Lets me do anything I want.

LUCY: Is that so?

JIM: You never nag me about a ring and only get a little mad now and then.

LUCY: Am I mad now, Jimmy?

JIM: You ain't yelling and that coffee cup is still in one piece so I recon not.

LUCY: So for you to hear me I need to be yelling and throwing dishes?

JIM: No. So back to my story. Old Roy was carrying on at the table acting like a big man because he got a bonus.

LUCY: Good for him.

JIM: No, good for us. I took him for everything he had tonight.

LUCY: How much did you bring home?

JIM: Well . . .

LUCY: That's what I thought. I have been living in this small apartment for years hoping to buy a house so that I can garden.

JIM: Why do you want to do that? You got some plants on the window.

LUCY: A little house we could call ours, Jimmy.

JIM: Why you want more then this? (JIM spreads his arms wide motioning around him)

LUCY: Something to say that you're a man worth keeping.

JIM: I'm good to you.(JIM attempts to change the subject) Now listen Tommy and I decided that because my luck was up we should go hit a real game.

LUCY: You're not listening to me.

JIM: We found one in the back of a little Chinese takeout.

LUCY: Drink your coffee so you can focus on what I'm trying to say about us.

JIM: Nothing wrong with us. I want to tell you what happened tonight.

LUCY: I don't want to hear it. I don't care. I know how this story ends. You lose all the money you made. You work to lose. I work to pay for this (LUCY gestures to the room). When I was a girl I dreamed a beautiful dream and tonight I realized I'm not living it.

JIM: What do you mean you ain't living? You're breathing all right.

LUCY: This is not living. All I do is work, then I sit right here night after night waiting see what level of drunk you're going to be.

JIM: I did good tonight. Let me finish my story. You'll see.

LUCY: I am done listening to your stories. You know tonight I tried to remember why we are together.

JIM: Easy! We love each other!

LUCY: Do we?

JIM: Hell yes! I've been faithful. I come home to you every night. I've had plenty of offers that I turned down for you.

LUCY: Is that so?

JIM: (JIM starts to yell.)Yes, you calling me a liar?

LUCY: You choose to drink over me every night, cards every weekend, and all you bring home to me is dirty laundry and heartache.

JIM:(JIM lowers his voice) You're being over dramatic baby. You are more important than drinking. I can give up poker.

LUCY: How did we get here? I used to think I was the luckiest girl in the whole world. You were like looking into the sun and I was blinded by you.

JIM: What are you saying? I don't beat you, I come home to you. I love you.

LUCY: You come home. That's all you do. How did we get so bad?

JIM: We're not bad. You want a ring. I will buy you a ring.

LUCY: I don't want a ring. It would just be a piece of metal with a stone to weigh me down. I'm already drowning here.

JIM: How can you be drowning?

LUCY: I wanted you so bad that I overlooked everything and you have never even considered my feelings. I have been holding on to the threads of our life for awhile now. I can't hold on anymore.

JIM: (Stands and knocks over the table) What are you saying? I will hold on for the both of us. I will fight for us.

LUCY: That's the problem. I'm tired of fighting. We live on a battlefield. You're drunk and I'm angry. Or you're hung over and I'm still angry. I'm dying here.

JIM: (JIM grabs LUCY and kisses her hard) Let's go to bed. It'll look different in the morning.

LUCY: Let me go Jim.

JIM: Never! Can't you see I love you.

LUCY: You're drunk!

JIM: Not anymore, I'm ready to fight for you.

LUCY: I can't fight any more. I'm a broken shell of a woman.

JIM: Say you love me.

LUCY: (LUCY looks away from him) Once upon a time I thought this was a good idea.

JIM: Say you love me Lucy. Please.

(LUCY sits in silence)

JIM: Please. (JIM kneels in front of her.)

LUCY: (LUCY stands) I'm sorry, I never wanted to hurt you.

JIM: Then don't.

LUCY: We have to let go of each other. You have to let me live. You know I'm right. I am right. We are destroying each other.(LUCY whispers) Let go Jim. (JIM lets go of Lucy. Lucy walks to the door.) Good bye, Jim. (LUCY closes the door behind her).

CURTAIN

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment