The Bartlett Family Adventure

The Bartlett Family Adventure is all about the moments that take my breath away as I grow in the glory of God, and live my life to the best of my ability while raising two rowdy boys. This blog is not just about me, it also includes stories of my family's daily adventures. We home school our boys, are trying to grow our fruits and vegetables, we are all on a journey to God, we are trying to live sustainably, and most importantly love the life we lead. Sometimes we stumble, but mostly I like to think we prevail. I am blogging to keep a sort of shared journal. Our life may be messy but it is perfect.

Monday, November 5, 2012

5. 5 o’clock:

Photo of the day Challenge
5. 5 o’clock:

I spent my afternoon canning cream of mushroom soup. I found a really wonderful recipe here http://www.grouprecipes.com/36004/condensed-cream-of-mushroom-soup-substitute.html

Here is the recipe. For me it is a staple. Trust me you will never go back to the canned goop from the store.

Condensed Cream Of Mushroom Soup Substitute

  • Time 10 minutes
  • Serves 4
Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 3 tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 cup any broth (I used a beef bouillon cube to make mine)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • mushrooms, chopped and sauteed (how ever much you desire)
  • salt and pepper to taste

How to make it

  • Melt butter in a saucepan over Med-Low heat.
  • Stir in flour a little at a time until smooth, then remove from heat.
  • Add broth and milk a little at a time, stirring to keep mixture smooth. Then, stir in mushrooms.
  • Return to heat and bring sauce to a gentle boil; stir constantly until sauce thickens.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Notes: This sauce can be used as a substitute for CONDENSED Cream of Mushroom Soup. 
  • Original recipe and other variations you can make can be found at http://www.recipezaar.com/278274

If you want to can cream of mushroom soup do not add the milk. I made a huge batch 16 tbsp of butter, 5 pounds or so of Mushrooms and so on. I put these in the pressure canner at 10 pounds of pressure for 45 minutes. It is important that you check with your instruction book because altitude does play an important part of canning.

Finally the picture of the day.
Look at all those lovely mushrooms in each one of those jars. This is a wonderful recipe whether you can it or just throw it in to a casserole. I hope you give it a try.

I hope you are having a wonderful day filled with love and laughter. Be well my friends.

2 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME!! Argh! I have to get him into canning!! I think he will come around eventually. Those are beautiful. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start small and he will get hooked in no time. I started by canning Chicken broth.

    ReplyDelete